Bad algae problems. Help please!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
typicalalex1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bad algae problems. Help please!

Hi everyone.

I set up my new 125litre planted tank just after xmas and i have bad algae issues.

Setup:
125 Litre (27UK gallons, 33 US gallons)
Fairly heavily planted
2 x 24watt standard bulbs. Lights are on for about 12 hours a day.
APS 1400EF Ex filter with UV. Spray bar sprays both on and below the water line. The plants are swaying in the current.
Tropica substrate with gravel on top
CO2 via Fire extinguisher using atomizer. About 1.5bps. CO2 comes on 2 hours before the lights do.
14 "pumps" of Tropica premium fertilizer per week. 2 every morning

W/C 50% every 2 weeks or so, usually less than 2 weeks

I dont have many fish at the moment. I want to get this problem sorted first. I have bought 15 Amano shrimp in the past month (Dont know if there are still that many, its hard to tell) and 3 Otto cats to help with the algae.
I also have about 8 BN plecos from my last tank.

I am getting 3 types of algae:
On the glass brace (bit on the water line that goes from the back of the tank to the front). This algae is bright green and grows very long. It comes off very easily.

On some of my Anubias and swords - I think its BBA. Only grows on the edges of the leaves.

On my java moss - Looks like BBA but it isnt as difficult to remove, i can just pick it off with my fingers.

This is my first attempt at a proper planted tank. The algae is starting to ruin the experience for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
typicalalex1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
typicalalex1
Algae Grower

Anyone?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

When I set up my new plant tank with T5 HO lights and CO2 I was not prepared for the hair algae that started growing on my plants...first time having co2.

What I did was to reduce the hours of light, added 6 amano shrimps and 6 nerite snails (not plant eaters) Within 10 days they had eaten every last piece of algae in the tank....not a sign of any algae anywhere...and today I still have NO algae in this tank.

Try it they are the best algae eaters anywhere!!!
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
typicalalex1
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply.
I have literally just been reading up on nerite snails, they seem to be really good. Quite expensive for a snail though, cheapest i can find is on eBay for 3 each + postage. Not noticed any in shops but then again i have never looked out for them so i could have missed them.

My amano shrimp dont seem to make any difference, i think the algae i have it stuff they wont eat.
Its really long and black and it feels like hair. It isnt attached to anything, it just seems to sit on the moss and i can pick it off with my hand.
Anyone know what type of algae this is?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
gramas
Algae Grower

http://www.trimar.co.uk/ have nerite snails 4 for 7 but they are down south devon/cornwall way they will post but not sure how much they would charge
gramas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Reduce photoperiod to 8hrs or raise lights.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
algae, amano shrimp, ottos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.