First Planted Tank, Small Scale Project.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Woolly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First Planted Tank, Small Scale Project.

I thought it was best to find a community such as this to voice my concerns and questions before initially setting up my first planted tank. I have experience with fresh water tanks but nothing this small, or planted. I'm also planning on having one or two dwarf crays, because I may as well go full out for what I've always wanted.

So to sum it up.. new guy, new tank, new to inverts... are you rolling your eyes yet?

Last night I picked up a Fluval flora tank setup. I was initially going to piece a set together myself because they wanted high money for this... but due to sale I grabbed the whole set for 40 bucks. The specs are as follows:

30L (7.9 gal)
35cm x 30cm x 30cm (13.8" x 11.8" x 11.8")
Glass cover with Corner Supports
Fluval Nano Filter,
Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp
Fluval Mini 20g CO2 Kit,
Fluval Plant Stratum 2kg (4.4lb)
Rock Background
Plant Gro 30ml (1oz)
Nano Thermometer
Planting Tongs with Curved End
Protection Mat, Plant Care Guide
I'll be specifically setting up the plants the first few weeks to get the hand of it before adding the dwarf crays, but I would like some advice. A list of hardy, invert friendly, easy plants would be particularly helpful. The local stores (all two of them in a 200 mile radius) only have the very most basic and common plants.. so suggests which fall in line with that would be great.

Any other initial tips on either the plants or inverts will also be noted and appreciated. I'm jumping in with both feet on this one!
Woolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
DrakeScree
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Where can I buy that for $40???
DrakeScree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Woolly
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeScree View Post
Where can I buy that for $40???

I got it at my local "Pets Unlimited" - They had about 9 and the owner said they just need to get rid of them to free up space. He also gave me a 9 dollar coupon for my first invert purchase. They were first marked up as 160.00, discounted, discounted again, and this was their last effort to try to get them sold. Just the filter that comes with it in the box was marked up for 40 bucks.. so it was a great price.

They will make their money back on fish sales though, they are rather expensive... their "Yellow Dwarf Crayfish" which I assume are miss identified CPOs or Cajun (If not I'm unsure of the species.) sell for around 20 bucks a piece (I'll be getting 2, and doing everything I can to keep them alive for a long time. I may even go for breeding).

Last edited by Woolly; 02-15-2013 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Left out Cajun.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

I want one of those too! About plants, you can't go wrong with anubias or ferns
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Woolly
Algae Grower

I'll check out Anubias, and Ferns. The store does have those available.

My main concern now is if I should go with a, I guess you could call it soil, bottom.. or keep the plants in pots with a sandy or some other bottom. I wouldn't mind the soil, but I no nothing about maintaining it cleaning, replacing, replanting... etc. I'm also worried it may not be the best option for crayfish.

The guy I talked too said it was quite fine, but he was also selling me the tank. He's been good all other times, but I just want second opinions. Fluval Plant Stratum 2kg, is the stuff in question and I can't get any leads on how it works with an invert tank.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
tomciu
Algae Grower

While mine has only been running for 7 weeks, I have a 5G planted shrimp tank and I used the Fluval plant stratum, all of my plants already show good signs of new growth. I have a few dozen RCS fry now that are absolutely loving the christmas moss I attached to some driftwood.
tomciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Woolly
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomciu View Post
While mine has only been running for 7 weeks, I have a 5G planted shrimp tank and I used the Fluval plant stratum, all of my plants already show good signs of new growth. I have a few dozen RCS fry now that are absolutely loving the christmas moss I attached to some driftwood.

Apparently it is quite safe, and one less thing to worry about. Thanks for the reply. I may go the RCS route some day myself, best of luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

I think the only difference between the plant stratum and the shrimp stratum is the diameter of the balls. Could be wrong though but I'm pretty sure that's the main difference. I too have a 5gal tank (fluval spec) with fluval plant stratum for the substrate. The rcs and crs don't seem to mind at all
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

Sweet deal, I saw them at a LFS in montreal on sale for 99$. 40$ is crazy cheap !
I had one of those filters in my RCS tank and did not like it at all.

Good Luck- Post some pics !
The Big Buddha is online now   Reply With Quote