New to Blue Velvets
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
weirdaquatics

PTrader: (0/0%)

New to Blue Velvets

I recently got some blue velvets off ebay and was wonder what size they are to start breeding. I lost a few to a filter issue and have 3-4 remaining. Not sure if I should buy more yet or wait and see how these do.
weirdaquatics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

What conditions are you keeping them in. I always like to start colonies with 10-20 shrimp
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
weirdaquatics

I started with 11, but may have lost some due to an internal filter. Even though it was set on low. They were too small I guess. I have 4 surviving for sure, more possibly hiding. Normal tap with conditioner, live plants. Algae wafers and fish flakes on occasion. Temps at 74-76. Bubbler for now till I get my sponge filter and a diy co2 setup.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Need to know pH, GH, KH, and TDS as well as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate if you want to figure out why you lost some as well as how you acclimated them and how long. Shrimp aren't like keeping fish and have more specific requirements. I wouldn't purchase any more until you know your parameters...otherwise you could just be throwing money away and killing livestock.

As to your question about how long before they are breeding age, well, what size are they now? From birth to adult for neos in my experience can be anywhere from 10 weeks to 4 months. Diet and temperature can also affect the growth rate.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
weirdaquatics

I know it was the filter that did it. I have cherries and yellows with no losses. I will have to start selling cherries soon I have so many. I'll stick with sponge filters from now on. Mine are about 1/4 or so, give or take a little. Compared to my cherries I'd say they are 3 weeks of age, give or take.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
weirdaquatics

I don't have a single type of test kit. I've considered getting them but my plants and cherries have done just fine so I haven't seen a need to rush out to get them.

I had an internal filter that came with the tank. I set it on low flow and thought it would be fine. Other tanks are sponge filter so it was a first time with one of these. I learned the hard way but I know for sure 4 survived. Now its a waiting game as to when they start multiplying. I see them eating so I know they are finding food. I am adding algae wafers and removing uneaten food after 24 hrs.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

You know all those will interbreed right? They are all neos. But even though they are all neos, some are pickier about parameters moreso than others. It can also be the case of your params matched the breeder of where you got your cherries and yellow shrimp but not where you got the BVs. Since they are neos, and you have so many cherries you should know how long it will take them to get to breeding age since, again, they are neos...same shrimp. There is no difference. If they are a quarter inch they are probably a month or so old but that's just a guess since I don't know your suppliers parameters.

I do suggest if you are going to keep shrimp you need a master test kit along with a GH/KH. If you don't care then fine, save your money, but if you have problems you will need these test kits to help eliminate possible issues. And just because your cherries are doing fine doesn't mean anything to any other kind of shrimp or shrimp from another source. PLEASE go read the sticky at the top of this forum on keeping shrimp. It will save you time and money.

I'd look into variety in the diet. Blanched spinach, kale, zucchini. Diet will also affect molting and growth.

ETA: You are removing uneaten algae wafer after 24 hours?? Ummm...you should be removing any uneaten food after 2 hours...you are going to get water quality issues if you leave uneaten wafers in that long.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.