good old trip to walmart..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
steven p
Wannabe Guru
 
steven p's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: columbus, ne
Posts: 1,497
Default

good old trip to walmart..


And it yielded...


Something that I had never seen but looked all too familiar...


As well as this angel that appears to be tattooed?
__________________
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 7,566
Default

I see the label on the fern calls it a Kangaroo Paw fern. Microsorium diversifolium.

Look on the soil at the top. See the hairy rhizome that spreads on the soil surface and sprouts leaves? Other ferns like this include 'Squirrels' foot or Rabbits' foot fern' (Davallia sp.) and 'Bears' foot fern (Polypodium aurem 'Mandianum').

This is an epiphyte, growing high in the air on the branches of a tree, or may grow on the side of a cliff where there is almost no soil. It will do well with moderate light, and is OK outdoors in the warm weather. Usually grown in a hanging pot. If you grow it in a moss basket the rhizomes may grow all the way around the basket.

Sort of looks like a Java Fern.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Kitsune_Gem's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Ramon, Ca
Posts: 981
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
Default

The angle looks like it has damage to it. The fins red due to what I would think would be an infection of the blood, Septicemia
__________________
"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
Kitsune_Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru
 
steven p's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: columbus, ne
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
The angle looks like it has damage to it. The fins red due to what I would think would be an infection of the blood, Septicemia
That would make sense. It was more hot pink in person, is that normal? He looked roughly netted and sick with a few velvety patches on his right side.

I left with a 7oz can of flake, dish soap and a pibb xtra. I kill houseplants, my angels kill fish...
__________________
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Christiansburg, Va
Posts: 2,756
Default

I work at Walmart and saw this post while on my last break. Of course I rushed out to Lawn & Garden because we just had a truck delivery yesterday that included large assortments of Exotic Angels's plants. Figures, we didn't get any Microsorium diversifolium. When I Googled it on break many folks were using it in vivariums and terrariums - I thought it might work in a hybrid vivarium/riparium idea I'm concocting...oh well!
__________________
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #6
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru
 
Blackheart's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Posts: 1,189
Default

what the heck? none of my walmart's in this area have any pet sections with this stuff. what gives?
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #7
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Christiansburg, Va
Posts: 2,756
Default

Well the plants are in Lawn & Garden. As for the live fish - be thankful your store doesn't carry them. They took ours out about 6 years ago and Home Office considered putting them back in during last year's remodel. Fortunately, they didn't. No one truly takes care of them, and my store is in a college town. Drunk students often thought it was funny to take bottles of dish detergent off the shelf and pour them into the tanks. Ha ha - look at the Walmart lackeys freak out. Idiots. We were all so happy when they tore out our tanks...
__________________
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
Blue Falcon
Planted Member
 
Blue Falcon's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Well the plants are in Lawn & Garden. As for the live fish - be thankful your store doesn't carry them. They took ours out about 6 years ago and Home Office considered putting them back in during last year's remodel. Fortunately, they didn't. No one truly takes care of them, and my store is in a college town. Drunk students often thought it was funny to take bottles of dish detergent off the shelf and pour them into the tanks. Ha ha - look at the Walmart lackeys freak out. Idiots. We were all so happy when they tore out our tanks...
people can be so ignorant. I dont even like how my walmart carries betta fish in the tiny cups. Idiots at my walmart think its funny to spit dip into the betta cups. People like that should be eliminated from the global gene pool.
Blue Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
steven p
Wannabe Guru
 
steven p's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: columbus, ne
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Falcon View Post
people can be so ignorant. I dont even like how my walmart carries betta fish in the tiny cups. Idiots at my walmart think its funny to spit dip into the betta cups. People like that should be eliminated from the global gene pool.
That's nasty.. thankfully the worst that usually happens is some kids pour two bettas together or pour a betta into a holding tank with community fish...

At least Wal-Mart's rigs are heated and filtered... I should take some pictures of our local Earl May's unfiltered clown puke holding pens...

20+ 3 inch cichlids in a 20 gallon tank with a dusting of pebbles and a bubble stone... Next toa tank with deformed blood parrots(eww.) They thought rainbowfish were gouramis. The staff even put plecostomus in brackish tanks to eat algae...

They toss plants because they get in the way of catching fish and "make the water dirty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Sort of looks like a Java Fern.
I thought the same thing when I spotted it. I atcually went to look for little spider like babies to make sure I wasn't going nutty, then I spotted the tag.

We get some cool plants in, they're often pretty gnarly, but I've seen plenty of awesome bromeliads and I find myself attracted to many philodendrons yet I can never keep them for more than a few months without something like a cat destroying a flower pot or spider mites...
__________________

Last edited by steven p; 02-14-2013 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: continues and slightly spell checked
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
christian_cowgirlGSR
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northwest Kansas
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
We get some cool plants in, they're often pretty gnarly, but I've seen plenty of awesome bromeliads and I find myself attracted to many philodendrons yet I can never keep them for more than a few months without something like a cat destroying a flower pot or spider mites...
If you have problems with spider mites, just spray the plants with straight water several times a day. That seems to have done the trick with my plants.
christian_cowgirlGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
steven p
Wannabe Guru
 
steven p's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: columbus, ne
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian_cowgirlGSR View Post
If you have problems with spider mites, just spray the plants with straight water several times a day. That seems to have done the trick with my plants.
In the root ball even? I don't have any potted house plants around anymore, I've either killed them all or moved them to hanging pots/hobs in my aquariums.
__________________
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
christian_cowgirlGSR
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northwest Kansas
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
In the root ball even? I don't have any potted house plants around anymore, I've either killed them all or moved them to hanging pots/hobs in my aquariums.
If there are spider mites in the soil, you are probably not watering your plants often enough. Spider mites don't like humidity, so doing something to raise the humidity around your plant should be all you need to do to get rid of them.
christian_cowgirlGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I see the label on the fern calls it a Kangaroo Paw fern. Microsorium diversifolium.

....This is an epiphyte, growing high in the air on the branches of a tree, or may grow on the side of a cliff where there is almost no soil. It will do well with moderate light, and is OK outdoors in the warm weather. Usually grown in a hanging pot. If you grow it in a moss basket the rhizomes may grow all the way around the basket.

....
Do you think it would grow Aquaponicaly as in a HOB or simply rooted in tank(Rhizome in the water stems/leaves above?
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012