Jager Thermostat Heater
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
fishwater
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Jager Thermostat Heater

Hey all I have a question about these heaters. I'm looking to get a heater for a quarantine/hospital tank (finally). I want to get a bigger heater so I can also have one to serve as backup in the event of a failure on my main tank. I'm considering the jager 150 or 200w. So here is my question does this heater need to remain vertical or can you place it horizontally? If you can use it horizontally then one of these will work fine as a quarantine/backup heater for a 10g. TYIA for any insight.
Eheim Pimp #533
46g
fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

As long as the heater is submersible, you can place it horizontally.

I have placed many heaters horizontally so that they would be more easily covered by plants, etc.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
bababooey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)

you may want to look into a lower wattage heater for a 10g. not only is the 200w jager heater 16"+ long, but a 200w + a 10g sounds like a recipe for disaster...
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
you may want to look into a lower wattage heater for a 10g. not only is the 200w jager heater 16"+ long, but a 200w + a 10g sounds like a recipe for disaster...
Agreed... I think in an ideal world you'd have a small one for the 10g tank and a separate spare for the larger tank if you really feel like you need a backup (I don't have one, don't think I really need one, but I do have several smaller 25-50w heaters I have collected from keeping smaller tanks). The Jager's are very large/long heaters as well, so physically fitting a bigger one in a smaller tank could be a problem.

You can definitely place the Jager horizontally as long as they're not touching any substrate, and they are much easier to "cover up" that way.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Firstly good choice on heater. I've had them all, and the ebo Jaggers are by far the best hands down. For a 10 gallon a 50-75 watt will be fine, and both are 9.5" tall so it would be fine vertical close to the filter intake. I do not think they are submersible though if according to the box nor have I fully submerged mine, however the LFS I got mine from horizontally submerged theirs so it prob would be OK.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Firstly good choice on heater. I've had them all, and the ebo Jaggers are by far the best hands down. For a 10 gallon a 50-75 watt will be fine, and both are 9.5" tall so it would be fine vertical close to the filter intake. I do not think they are submersible though if according to the box nor have I fully submerged mine, however the LFS I got mine from horizontally submerged theirs so it prob would be OK.
I've had a total of 4 heaters failed (not due to flow, just crap quality) on me 2 Marineland stealth 250watts, 1 Theo 300watts & a Chinese no-name 300watts unit. The only one that remained working after years is my Ebo-Jager, now Eheim-Jager. I would never use anything but a Eheim-Jager and recommend this product highly. If you've ever held one in the hand you'll immediately notice the build quality is excellent.

Now regarding your application the only issues I see is (1) the physical size of the Eheim-Jager as another member have noted (2) the lack of circulation to move the heater water from around the coiled area due to the size of the tank- I assume lower flow.

If you didn't already know this the most important thing (other than build quality) for ANY heater is water movement around the coiled areas. The movement of the heated water from the heater what determines how accurate the water temp will be relative to what's set on the dial as well as reliability and why in-lines work so well. It's not because it's better, but it puts the heated surface in the perfect flow situation; something most do not do.

If you can provide a powerhead to move the heated water from the heated surface area this can work for you. If you cannot provide that type of flow I would not suggest anything over 150watts, even with that place it where it gets the most flow. If you have to move the dial past the labelled temp you want to achieve, e.g., 77 to 84 to achieve 77 - you have a flow problem.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have some Visi Therms that are about 7 years old. I have the green Ebo J too.

But the tip about the water distribution is key. I always prefer raging rapids type tanks versus the calm peaceful waters.

I don't like dead zones in the aquarium, & when I had a acrylic tank, the filter could only do so much and without the use of a power head for additional movement, there a plenty of stagnant areas in the tank.

Time to head out, happy Friday 2 all.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote