Low Tech 29G - Few Questions - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #31
karce87
Long-time Lurker
 
karce87's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 156
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87
Default

I notice you have your java fern buried. Tie it to the driftwood might be a good idea. The rhizome will melt if buried
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
Gootz
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karce87 View Post
I notice you have your java fern buried. Tie it to the driftwood might be a good idea. The rhizome will melt if buried
Hmmm, thank you for the info. The java fern in my other tank completely died out and it seems now I know why!

What other options do I have for planting it in this tank?
Gootz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #33
Wannaberooted
Green is good
 
Wannaberooted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eau Claire WI
Posts: 273
Default

Sorry to hear about your losses. Have you considered the place you are buying your fish might not have healthy fish to begin with? It's hard to say, but look at all the tanks closely and look for fish that are unhealthy or already dead. I won't buy from one store in town here as there are always dying fish in at least one tank.
__________________
Wouldn't you like to beside the seaside?
Wannaberooted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #34
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida Panhandlle
Posts: 329
Default

add more plants that will help water quality and remember small weekly water changes (10-20%)
__________________
Meganne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #35
karce87
Long-time Lurker
 
karce87's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 156
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootz View Post
Hmmm, thank you for the info. The java fern in my other tank completely died out and it seems now I know why!

What other options do I have for planting it in this tank?
crypt wendtii is fun. More java fern I guess. Anubias is also a good addition.
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #36
Gootz
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannaberooted View Post
Sorry to hear about your losses. Have you considered the place you are buying your fish might not have healthy fish to begin with? It's hard to say, but look at all the tanks closely and look for fish that are unhealthy or already dead. I won't buy from one store in town here as there are always dying fish in at least one tank.
I have indeed. I typically buy from Petco because I love their 30 day return policy and I know the aquatics guys there which means they treat me well, put in special orders whenever I ask and allow me to return no questions ask. However, there are 2 major problems with Petco. First is that their stock sells out quick, so unless I go in and either pick up what I want the day it comes in or I ask my guys to set aside what I want, it's gone pretty quickly. Which means that the fish don't have time to settle in and destress from the shipping. That is a PITA. The second thing is that they order from the cheapest possible breeder and this does in turn affect the quality of their livestock sometimes. Certain breeders who are giving the lowest price are cutting corners and/or have inferior "products".

So sometimes I will go to my other LFS, which has a better variety of fish and I have yet to buy a fish that died shortly after "adoption". However, there are 2 downsides with them too. One, they don't offer any sort of warranty. And two, they are more expensive.

So it's a tossup. My guys at Petco really try to help me out and go the extra mile for me, so I like to give them my business and support. But my guard is definitely up with them.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganne View Post
add more plants that will help water quality and remember small weekly water changes (10-20%)
Absolutely. Will probably do about 20-25% weekly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karce87 View Post
crypt wendtii is fun. More java fern I guess. Anubias is also a good addition.
So far I've got some Java, 1 anubias, 1 banana plant and this unidentifiable fern tied to coconut husk (see pics on first post). I didn't want to add any more plants until the tank was humming along nicely. Would it be bad to add some now that all of the levels are evened out or should I wait until after I have added some fish? I do have some Crypt in my other tank. Could I just pinch off a little and add it to this tank (at least I know it's coming from another healthy tank haha)?
Gootz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #37
Wannaberooted
Green is good
 
Wannaberooted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eau Claire WI
Posts: 273
Default

Boy, that is a tough choice then, but generally, you get what you pay for. My brother used to be the district manager for S. CA Petco's and he said it varies wildly on the death rates of fish depending on who took care of the fish at each store. Hopefully your buddies are in the good category. I've never had a fish die inside a warranty so I don't really consider it. I just watch the fish for a while before I buy them to make sure they are acting normally, and don't have any Ich or anything.

I'd say go ahead and add some plants.

Good luck!
__________________
Wouldn't you like to beside the seaside?
Wannaberooted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #38
Gootz
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannaberooted View Post
Boy, that is a tough choice then, but generally, you get what you pay for. My brother used to be the district manager for S. CA Petco's and he said it varies wildly on the death rates of fish depending on who took care of the fish at each store. Hopefully your buddies are in the good category. I've never had a fish die inside a warranty so I don't really consider it. I just watch the fish for a while before I buy them to make sure they are acting normally, and don't have any Ich or anything.

I'd say go ahead and add some plants.

Good luck!
I know the manager well and he genuinely cares about the department. But he's not there 100% of the time and not all the employees who work in the aquatics dept are as caring as him. Out of the 5 who work it, I'd say 3 of them care. Without going into too much of the details sometimes things happen and now I just try to be more cautious.

I'm probably going to transplant one of the crypts I have in my other tank after I do my next water change this weekend. Any other suggestions on other plants that would work well in my (very low tech/low light setup)?
Gootz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #39
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Django's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 680
Default

From what I can tell it's a banana plant on the rock. I've never heard of a banana plant attached to anything though. Does it have those things that go down at the bottom? A pic of the plant might be useful.
__________________
Planted 10 gallon tank; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2; MGOCPM/PETCO black sand cap
The Fraternity of Dirt #152

A Silent Cycled Tank
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
Gootz
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
From what I can tell it's a banana plant on the rock. I've never heard of a banana plant attached to anything though. Does it have those things that go down at the bottom? A pic of the plant might be useful.
I'm talking about the fern attached to the coconut husk, not the banana plant. Thanks though.
Gootz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #41
Gootz
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35
Default

I picked up the rest of the shoal of Juliis, so now I've got a total of 6 along with the oto and 1 assassin snail. I'll let the tank adjust for another week or so before adding anything else.

After adding new fish, how long should I wait until I do my next water change? I did one 3 days ago and added the fish last night.
Gootz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #42
Wannaberooted
Green is good
 
Wannaberooted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eau Claire WI
Posts: 273
Default

I'd check ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates every day for a few days, and if you show any ammonia or nitrites, or nitrates get to 40, do a change. If nothing shows, don't bother. Maybe others would do something different.
__________________
Wouldn't you like to beside the seaside?
Wannaberooted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #43
Wannaberooted
Green is good
 
Wannaberooted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eau Claire WI
Posts: 273
Default

I wasn't very clear, you should do a weekly water change regardless, but you may need to do one earlier if your raising the stock level starts showing ammonia or nitrites, or 40ppm nitrates. Sorry about that.
__________________
Wouldn't you like to beside the seaside?
Wannaberooted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #44
Gootz
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannaberooted View Post
I'd check ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates every day for a few days, and if you show any ammonia or nitrites, or nitrates get to 40, do a change. If nothing shows, don't bother. Maybe others would do something different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannaberooted View Post
I wasn't very clear, you should do a weekly water change regardless, but you may need to do one earlier if your raising the stock level starts showing ammonia or nitrites, or 40ppm nitrates. Sorry about that.
Thanks for advice. Levels are all perfect! Ammonia and Nitrate readings are at 0 and Nitrates are around 25-30. Considering these levels, should I still do the weekly water change tomorrow?

The Juliis are looking very content. They are eating well, active and swimming around together a lot.
Gootz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #45
Wannaberooted
Green is good
 
Wannaberooted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eau Claire WI
Posts: 273
Default

I'd still do a water change on a regular basis, I do 25% a week. My nitrates show about what yours does right before a water change. It goes down, and slowly creeps back up through the week. I've found that with my water supply here in Eau Claire, a big water change effects almost all my plants in a bad way. I have a high pH from the tap, which the tank lowers. I top the tank off due to evaporation with distilled water once and a while. You want to strive for stability, wild swings in anything is bad.

Depending on a lot of things, like what you use for water, plant density, stocking, fertilizers, light levels, oxygen levels, CO2 levels, and the boogeyman in your tank, you will have to change things slowly and observe what happens. Keep reading everything having to do with any problems that occur, and then read some more.

I'm glad you like your julii's, they should be very happy in your tank. They don't get very big, and they will keep things tidy. Just don't overfeed, that might be the hardest part of keeping a tank. The fish always seem hungry, but they are gluttons.

Good luck, pretty soon you can fill in your middle and top levels of your tank with fishies.
__________________
Wouldn't you like to beside the seaside?
Wannaberooted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012