Plants Not Growing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
2Shi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Plants Not Growing

My plants aren't growing. Am I missing anything important?

Aquarium Specs:
54g bow front corner tank

2x24W T5HO lighting (one 10K bulb and 1 full spectrum bulb). 22in between bulb and substrate. 2in over the surface of the water.
Pressurized CO2 at 2bps with glass diffuser
Lighting and CO2 run 7 hours per day. They turn on and off at the same time.

Potting soil substrate topped with eco-complete gravel.

Dosing with Seachem root tabs, flourish excel, and flourish comprehensive supplement.

Water temp 76 degrees F. Soft water hardness. 6.8 to 7 pH.

Plants are java moss, jungle vals, dwarf hair grass and micro swords.
I though java moss is supposed to grow like crazy and be really tough to kill but I haven't seen any growth for almost a month now. I must be missing something important.
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

just in my experience, it seems like most of my plants seem to have a 'break in' period of about a month before they really do much of anything and then they start taking off.

I always assumed it was acclimation and establishing a good root system.

But I could be way off
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Rich Guano
Planted Member

The excel is stunting the growth of the java moss. I am surprised you have not reported that it has turned brown. excel has been documented to be a problem for java moss.

7 hours seem a bit short of a photo-period. Perhaps bumping up to 9 or 10 hours would trigger more growth out of the plants.

Think outside the glass box.
Rich Guano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
2Shi
Algae Grower

Haha my java moss is indeed brown.I'll stop dosing excel for a while to see what happens.

Also, I want my plants to pearl but I haven't even seen a single bubble out of them. What else could I be missing?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Rich Guano
Planted Member

You missed the bit about lengthening your photoperiod.

Pearling is the result of having your lighting, nutrients and Carbon source jacked way up. This is not a reasonable goal for somebody just starting out.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
2Shi
Algae Grower

O.o why is it not a reasonable goal? Don't I have all the equipment I would need to make it happen?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
2Shi
Algae Grower

Any other advice? :O I really want to see my plants pearl ^_^

Increased light to 10 hrs. If I see any negative effects then I will lower it.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

The soil ought to provide enough nitrate and phosphate, have you checked how much is in the water? Might need to move to dosing a complete fertilizer like EI or PPS Pro. Soft water might not have enough calcium and magnesium for the light provided, might consider a GH supplement. Flourish might need to be dosed more often.

If you do a water change when lights and CO2 have been on for a while you might see some action. It might or might not be true pearling. Sometimes it is a boost of CO2 and the plants really pearl and sometimes it is just dissolved gases in the tap water coming out of solution on the tank surfaces. Pretty either way.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
Rich Guano
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Shi View Post
O.o why is it not a reasonable goal? Don't I have all the equipment I would need to make it happen?
Trust me, when I ask you this next question I am not being mean in any way. Consider it a thoughtful push in the right direction. I am just trying to initiate an open conversation about the process.

What is pearling? Does it occur in nature? Where and under what conditions?

Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
2Shi
Algae Grower

Well this is my understanding of pearling.

If a plant pearls then that means it is at its optimal peak of photosynthesis. When the plant is no longer able to put out additional oxygen through natural means, the excess oxygen collects on the surface of the plant in the form of small bubbles.

I hardly believe this is possible in nature but that's just guesswork on my part. I can't think of anywhere that would have such a perfect balance of co2, lighting and nutrients to cause the pearling phenomenon. I basically consider pearling to be a plant on steroids, nothing natural about it.

I understand that pearling is NOT an indicator of how well the plants are doing. Plants can grow just fine without ever hitting the point of pearling. The only reason I set this as my goal is because I'd like to see it happen in real life. :-) plus I've always been taught to aim for the stars :-D

Last edited by 2Shi; 01-29-2013 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: .
Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #11
Rich Guano
Planted Member

It's seems you have very healthy expectations here. We should begin by learning how to make your plants grow. Lets watch and see over the next couple of weeks how they do with the longer photo-period.

New questions.

Do all plants pearl or pearl equally? Are your plants known to pearl?

Since a good deal of the plants nutrition comes from fish food, talk about what kind of foods you are feeding and who is eating them.

And some pics would be nice.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #12
2Shi
Algae Grower

All plants pearl, its a result of very efficient photosynthesis. They don't necessarily pearl equally at the same point in time. Different plants may pearl at different times of the day or under different water conditions.

I don't want this topic to go too far off course. I'm really only looking for advice, not a homework assignment. All i will say is that, as far as nutrition, I provide my plants with pure mixed fertilizer which I will be changing to dry dosages using the EI method soon.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Want to see pearling? Do a big water change, with lots of surface agitation.

Pearling occurs when O2 concentrations exceed what can be held dissolved in the water column, and the O2 needs to gas off. When you do a big water change, you get a big influx of O2 into the water column- so your normal plant respiration (which produces O2) will pearl right off the leaves.

Pearling does NOT necessarily mean that plants are healthy... just that photosynthesis is occuring, and that there's enough O2 in your water that it needs to gas off.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

If you want to shoot for the stars.. IMHO, your light is pretty low: 2x24w over a 23" deep tank is not record-breaking. If you want your plants to pearl on a consistent basis you will have to jack up your lights, co2, ferts, and tweak your flow. Once you figure out flow in a corner tank, do please let me know as I do have one and it's been a pain for 6+years.

If things go south on you, at least you will find out that algae can out-pearl plants.

I would start following Rich Guano advise first and get healthy growth out of your plants. Then we can take the 'jacking-up' process step-by-step to squeeze the 02 out of them.

Pearling algae was edited out of this picture :

Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yea I think the problem isn't enough lighting. Of course with more lighting you'll need more cO2 but that shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't just increase the photo period, I would look into more powerful lighting while still maintaining 8 hours a day (even if you left the lights on 24 hours a day you'd just get a crap load of algae and no plants pearling)

Also things take time. Maybe all your measurements are good but from my experience plants need time to "dig their roots in" and make the most use of the lighting/co2/substrate/ferts. I've never had a tank I thought was "good" in less than 6 months. By 6 months though I notice the plants really thriving to the point where I have to trim a lot each week and pearling happening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.