best CO2 diffuser?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
pirasha
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

best CO2 diffuser?

So I have a DIY Co2 gig going on, sugar and yeast, the diffuser I use right now is a the end of a cheap chopstick. Works okay, makes very small bubbles, however I feel like the diffusion could be better. I was looking at the fluval diffuser which looks kind of like a ladder. I guess the co2 is absorbed as the bubbles climb up the ladder. Anyone have experience on how well it works?
pirasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Everything i've read about the fluval ladder has been negative. Is the (free) chopstick diffuser working well enough? Don't fix what ain't broke..
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

do not use anything that resembles a bell or ladder if you want very good diffusion.
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Peccator
Algae Grower

A power head works pretty well, but I would agree with TwoTacoCombo, if the chop stick is working well enough why change it?
Peccator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
ronnie6989
Algae Grower

I used the ladder before.....Do not care for them......Seems like you donot get enough of the bubble to dissolve all the way....I belive in spinning co2 with the water...Check this out

I am using a small power head.......I am still working on it to look better. I am calling it the TORNADO Co2 Injector.
The output at the end is very little or no co2 bubbles exiting my unit and to me means I am dissolving most of the co2 into the water column.

pat pending LOL

Ronnie

Last edited by ronnie6989; 02-14-2013 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: added text
ronnie6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
pirasha
Algae Grower

I want to change to a different diffuser because a lot of bubble make it to the top of the tank and are thus not getting dissolved. I also want to change it because I need to change the chopstick every two weeks or so because it's such a soft wood that it dissolves and grows slime really well that ends up clogging up all the nice little holes that should be used for co2 ^_^

ronnie...that's pretty awesome! how did you make it?
pirasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
ronnie6989
Algae Grower

I used a small power head.......that is one of those dollar store egg cookers that you put in the microwave..... any thing that is round about 2-3 inch wide. co2 comes in on top with the tank water......water exits on the bottom at the hole I drilled......the trick is the top hole you drill is got to be off center so water moves like a tornado .....mine also gets slimmie but does not clog....If you want more help.....just im me pirasha and I will get back to you....
ronnie6989 is offline   Reply With Quote