can a 10 gallon planted tank be moved to a different stand?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

can a 10 gallon planted tank be moved to a different stand?

I have a nice well balanced high tech planted tank that is doing well. I never thought I would have a tank do so well after what it went through. This 10 gallon tank in question was just supposed to be an experiment. Now I have grown respect for it.
The problem is: the tank is sitting on 2 ceramic floor tiles 12X12 & no tank mat which is supported by 2 plastic milk crates. It came in handy when a new floor was put down. I just picked the tank up by the crate handles 50% drained with another person and placed it on a dolly & rolled it out of the room in minutes. Actually it is kind a mobile in a way.
Now I want to know if the tank can be placed on a nice wooden stand where I can conceal the canister filter & CO2 tank. Can this be done or will it come as a high percentage of error. The tank has been recently stocked & the fish were in Qt for 10 weeks , they are doing really well now and I would hate to stress them again. To me it seems it would be difficult to lift the tank up onto another stand & get it to sit down into another stand without stressing that thin glass. I have at least 3 inches of Flourite for the substrate & 1 good size rock, with heavy plant bio mass. Can the tank be moved with minimal risk?? What would the cracking chances be.??? Will I have to live with it??
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
iant
Planted Member

Each gallon of water holds about 8lbs so when its full about 100lbs give or take. You may wanna take some of the water out and have a feel for it. better safe than sorry.
iant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
mfurufuru
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: can a 10 gallon planted tank be moved to a different stand?

Take as much water out as you can and put that water in another container. After you move the tank, put the water back in.
mfurufuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

It's still not recommended to move tanks that have anything in them, but I've moved smaller tanks (10, 20) after draining most of the water. I wouldn't even consider doing it with a larger tank, and I'm not sure how risky it is for something like a 10 gallon

Could you do that? drain all but a couple inches or so of water (into buckets/tubs so you can reuse it), move the tank, put it on a proper support/cushioning, then refill it.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
iant
Planted Member

I did moved my 20gal once b4 with 20% water and an inch of gravel but I was scared to death it would crack. Thankfully it all worked out for me. Maybe try slipping a piece if plywood underneath to distribute the weight and take as much water out.
iant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks all: The plywood idea sounds good, but in the end I think its risky. The 10 gallon panes are thin & like I said , 3 inches of Flourite! The fact that its on the tiles does not make it any easier.
I really want to do this, but the fact that the tank & the fish are doing so well, even starting to show signs of breeding makes it even harder to try. It took me 2.5 months to beat down BGA alone not to mention many other problems. Now the tank is cranking away like its own ecosystem.
Unfortunately it is sitting on a substandard stand that looks, plain & cheap, although functional. It could be the worlds first mobile high tech tank. I will have to digest this for a while. I think draining the water down to maybe 3 or 4 inches would be enough with a major plant trimming to allow the fish to swim a little could work. The idea of keeping the tank water on hand sounds good as well. Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I've moved my 10-gallon petsmart tank by hand with about 30% water & full of substrate/etc. without any casualty.

Just be careful about avoiding any sort of twisting and you'll be fine. Having someone help you will make it go smoother.

If you really want to be cautious about it, use a couple of 2x4 boards underneath the sides of the tank and lift the boards with a partner (sounds like you could slide the tank so that it sits centered on a single milk crate with the edges hanging off, that would let you get the boards underneath to help lift it up onto the new stand).

I realize you don't want to stress your fish out, but moving the tank will stress them anyway, plus you run a tiny risk of sloshing them into the wall of the tank or a rock tipping over and crushing them, etc... putting them in a bucket of siphoned tank water for the short time it takes you to move everything with the water level down to the bottom might be more pragmatic.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I have moved my 10 gallon that was 90% full. I used a piece of wood to help me move it. Had no problems.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
kruzerman
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I moved my 10 and 20 with about 20% water in each with no issues. I plan to move my 10 again soon.
kruzerman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
syzygy9
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

The 3" bed of flourite obviously adds weight, but it also helps spread the load evenly which is a good thing. I'd remove the large rock (just to be safe in case it falls against the side glass or something), drain as much water as you are comfortable with, get 2 ppl to lift up while a 3rd places a piece of ply or MDF underneath. Set it down and and move it on the new base. From there you can reverse the process at the new location.

Just go slow and make sure there is no water on the floor or obstructions in the path (including mobile ones like kids or pets) from point A to point B and you should be fine.

When I was about eleven I took a 10 gallon terrarium outside to clean it. For some reason I decided to move it (1/3 full of water) and somewhere along the way I got tired and set it on a 6" diameter flat tree stump. DON'T do that!
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Moving a 10 isn't all that hard. Just drain all the water with a siphon into some buckets and put the fish in the bucket with the old water. Pick the thing up (doesn't weigh much at all) and be very careful not to tilt it. You'll be fine. The only thing to worry about is the breaking point of the stand (I recently got one from target and its slowly warping).
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Not that I'd recommend it, but myself and a friend moved my 29g tank twice about 10 miles. It was thankfully gravel so I could vacuum it very well, then took the water down to about 50% and we were able to handle the weight from there. Had it on a nice cloth back seat and drove very carefully. Didn't have any issues.
Rush3737 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey Yankee, what stand are you talking about? The stand I was thinking of purchasing looks pretty generic. It has the straight up & down planks with 2 doors that open in the front & the back is pretty much open. There could be 1 cross member at the top & there is a border of some kind to keep the tank stable. They are in pets mart & most aquarium supply stores. Do they warp since I only have experience with metal stands & my jury rigged present tank?
I like the look of the wooden stands but I am sure there are better stands out there.
2 New questions come to mind. Would a tank mat be overkill for the 10, and could I lift the tank up from the rim with say 75% of the water drained once it gets right in front of the new stand?
Thanks all, it sounds possible. Im getting some more courage up. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #14
afuzzy420
Algae Grower

my father inlaw moved my kids 10 gallon when it was half full and the glass cracked.wasn't there when it happened but saw the after math.wet floor and fishes in a bucket...
afuzzy420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.