Snail Killer
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Snail Killer

Nope, not how to kill snails (for once) but a question on whether anyone's ever run across info on specific pathogens or parasites that affect snails--but not shrimp, scuds or fish.

Last summer I set up a planted vase for a selective breeding project with bladder snails (black and striped shell variations). Gradually, the population explosion waned and I found fewer and fewer succesful hatchings and started seeing a bewildering number of adult snails dead on the substrate. Commonly the shrimp and fish found the dead snails before me and I only found empty shells, but observation eventually turned up a pattern of the snails appearing to have at least partially, if not entirely, left their shells before death, with the bodies lying just outside the shell or with only a small portion of the tail still holding it in. Snails found in the process of dying confirmed this.

I quarantined the vase, did a thorough gravel vac, replaced the hardscape and most of the plants with new trimmings from my main tanks (with healthy snail populations)--but any snail introduced to this vase dies within four days: pond, bladder, nerite, rams horn, even MTS!

While I've maintained a quarantine on plant transfers between tanks, fish taken from the vase and set up in a new tank have apparantly NOT brought the problem with them--as the new tank has a healthy population of ponds, rams and MTS several weeks after the fish being introduced.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

Some plants have pesticides on them before shipping. Is it possible any plants may have had this when transferred? I know you said you quarantine, however what are your quarantine procedures?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

The vase was originally planted up with a variety of trimmings from long established plants in my other tanks. The problem started sometime after I added some native plants gathered from the nearby Salt River Basin area.

The plants (along with some coontail, wild scuds, a damsel fly larvae and umpteen varieties of planaria) spent 3 weeks in my scud tank before I transplanted them to other tanks. Impossible to say if the scud tank would eventually have succumbed to the same problem as it was wiped out shortly thereafter thanks to the unwieldy intersection of a small child and a double handful of cat food! However, my 20g riparium, which received some of the same plants, never developed the problem.

The river edge was littered with empty apple snail shells (and egg masses along the banks) but had healthy populations of a variety of micro and macro organisms. Forest management records don't show any intentional introduction of any herbicides, pesticides or biological agents nor any known accidental spills in the area within the past six months.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Puddles
Shrimps are fun

PTrader: (20/100%)

If the plants were surrounded by dead snails, why are you surprised your snails are dying?
Puddles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesAqua View Post
If the plants were surrounded by dead snails, why are you surprised your snails are dying?

For a second a thought Puddles was being a smarty pants...then I reread your last post. If I saw tons of empty snail shells along the river's edge I wouldn't have brought ANYTHINg from that area into my tanks. Can't help answer your question as there is truly no way of knowing. Folks can give you 50 reasons it could happen.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

I'm not terribly surprised (or upset) at the snail deaths in this particular tank--what I'd hoped is that someone with a bit of experience or knowledge on the pathogens and parasites that affect snails (but not other aquatic species) would see this and chime in with some ideas. So far I haven't found much literature on the subject.

It may not even BE the collected materials that brought the problem in as a portion of the same plants went into my riparium with no ill affect on the snails there (pond, bladder, rams, mts, and nerite).
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
Rich Guano
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Perhaps one of the plants is killing the snails by releasing a chemical that it produces. It is called Allelopathy, and plants will use chemical warfare to reduce competition from other plants. Just a thought, I have very very little knowledge of the subject.

Think outside the glass box.
Rich Guano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.