Deep Blue BioMaxx vs Hagen Aquaclear
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
xaqdaddy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Deep Blue BioMaxx vs Hagen Aquaclear

I've always used AQ's, but the Deep Blue is cheap. I know what they say about cheap, but wondering if anyone has used both and has a preference. The technology is the same, so how hard can it be to get it wrong?
xaqdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
ronnie6989
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think you need to look at the gph flow rate first and then what you can really put in the filter for extra media options......like how much space is left so you can drop a bag of ammonia remover or extra carbon or any thing you like to use. I donot just use a cartage alone in my filters. Another thing is what the filter cartridge is made out of and how much carbon is really in it...More money does not always mean better.

Ronnie
ronnie6989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
david meyers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqdaddy View Post
I've always used AQ's, but the Deep Blue is cheap. I know what they say about cheap, but wondering if anyone has used both and has a preference. The technology is the same, so how hard can it be to get it wrong?
I have used many of the newer type HOB filters including the AQ's & don't like the way they are designed or their filtering quality. Filtering the water by forcing it up through the media allows for just too much bypass & over the top flow from the small pump chamber. Omit the charcoal bag in your AQ (which you don"t need anyway) & replace it with a layer of floss. Note how dirty the floss becomes fairly fast. That piece of coarse sponge they give you to use in the bottom does a poor job. Give me the old Supreme Aqua & Superkings. Those were real filters. One thing to remember is it's not just the gph but how well it's filtered! I've been filtering water for 50 yrs.
david meyers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david meyers View Post
... Give me the old Supreme Aqua & Superkings. Those were real filters...
Amen! They did as good a job as any canister filter available today and were a lot sturdier.

Found a pic of one. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...c.php?t=201102

Last edited by Jeff5614; 02-14-2013 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: addition
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.