What plants are red?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What plants are red?

What are the names of some plants that have a red color to them ? I would like to add some touches of colors to our tank and though plants woild be a good way way to do it. Are there any other color options? I would also like to know price ranges so when I am looking at the lfs I can tell if its over priced. We are on a tight budget and I dont want to pay too much
The tank is a 10 gal low tec
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Check out this thread.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=red+plant

Can you tell us more about your set up? Co2 or not?

I have beautiful swords that have red coloring but are too big for a 10g. I recently bought a metallic red crypt which is beautiful but expensive.

Check out the for sale or roak threads. People on this forum sell great plants at a reasonable price. By exploring those threads you'll get an idea of pricing so when you go to LFS you'll know if you are getting ripped off.

Last edited by Sajacobs; 02-14-2013 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Saw your low tech. Look up red tiger lily. That might be an option.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Under what conditions?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Its a low tec tank no co2 when we get more plants I will do a fert. Lighting is low to mid.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

you won't really be able to do a red plant and have it grow well in those conditions, a red plant NEEDS iron to stay red, which would mean dosing ferts or having dirt/a nutrient rich substrate, mabey a bulb plant will do well but you'll really only find lillies that are red and bulbs.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
you won't really be able to do a red plant and have it grow well in those conditions, a red plant NEEDS iron to stay red, which would mean dosing ferts or having dirt/a nutrient rich substrate, mabey a bulb plant will do well but you'll really only find lillies that are red and bulbs.
I disagree. That's assuming that there is not iron in the waste products in your tank, or from your water source. There are several plants for him: Red Ludwigia, Alternantha reineckii, Cryptocorne wendtii "red", even maybe some Swords.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
I disagree. That's assuming that there is not iron in the waste products in your tank, or from your water source. There are several plants for him: Red Ludwigia, Alternantha reineckii, Cryptocorne wendtii "red", even maybe some Swords.
I stand corrected, there are some now that i think about it, ludwigia can be done, i've done that before with no ferts, i believe it was my first ever plant, however i do disagree with the swords, being a huge fan of swords my self, the only sword i have gotten to do well with no ferts was an amazon, and those are some tough plants, i am partial towards IRS but those definatley wouldn't do well without ferts, Alternantha would be tough, i've got a hard time doing that one, i think crypt could be doable if ferts can be gotten.

My question to you is what waste products could produce iron do you think? i'm honestly interested, mabey some fish waste?

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

With some notable exceptions (Nesaea red), iron does not seem to do anything for the color of my plants. In general, if you want 'red-red' higher light is what makes it possible. More red -> more light -> more ferts -> more co2. Reminds me of the arms race.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post

I havent been doing any ferts because the only plants I have at the moment are moss and they are doing very well with out the ferts. I can get some ferts if I need to. I figured I would need some root tabs if I got rooted plants. Or may be some flourish
Thank you for the suggestions I am going to look them up and see what might be available. And what might look good in our tank. I am going to rescape it next week when we move the tank.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
james0816
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)

Well being a 10g tank, you will be able to do more with it than one would think. Unless you have a very poor light base, you will do just fine with it. Especially if the hood has the screw type bulbs.

But...I would definately recommend starting fert regime if you plan on red plants. Dose with a little extra iron to start.

Some good plants with contrast that I like would be Murdannia sp red, Ludwigia ovalis and Ludwigia senegalensis. Bacopa colorata under the proper lighting is nice too. For deeper reds; Ludwigia sp. 'red' will pop.
james0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0816 View Post
Well being a 10g tank, you will be able to do more with it than one would think. Unless you have a very poor light base, you will do just fine with it. Especially if the hood has the screw type bulbs.

But...I would definately recommend starting fert regime if you plan on red plants. Dose with a little extra iron to start.

Some good plants with contrast that I like would be Murdannia sp red, Ludwigia ovalis and Ludwigia senegalensis. Bacopa colorata under the proper lighting is nice too. For deeper reds; Ludwigia sp. 'red' will pop.
The hood will take a t8 bulb. What are some affordable ferts that I could look for.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
james0816
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)

AquariumFertilizer.com is good place to start. If you haven't used dry ferts before (EI dosing) I would suggest to start with their micro/macro mix.
james0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

some rotala species iwll be pinkish red under medium lighting
ludwigia red can be red under low medium light
and nesea can be red if im not mistaken!