Activity - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
Stella Blue
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
We should set up a GR trade thread. Just to trade plants, inverts, etc.

It'd be cheap!

- Mumford
I'm always down for trading stuff!!

Totally Mike....... I'm sure I'll have plenty extra, I'm a shrimp hoarder!!

I'm a big Bluefish fan..... Ben and Jeff are super great people! I finally paid my dues to the GVAC this year as I've known many of the great members for years from the swap meets and auctions!

I dream about 125 gallon tanks......

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
eodmike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
I'm always down for trading stuff!!

Totally Mike....... I'm sure I'll have plenty extra, I'm a shrimp hoarder!!

I'm a big Bluefish fan..... Ben and Jeff are super great people! I finally paid my dues to the GVAC this year as I've known many of the great members for years from the swap meets and auctions!

I dream about 125 gallon tanks......
No need to dream. The stand and canopy are functional but crap. I'd suggest building new. I think I could make a pretty decent 125 gallon + IceCapp Ballast + 2 Darn Near New bulbs + Sump + Panworld Pump + Heater + Substrate deal. I wouldn't want to pawn off the crappy hood and stand so you'd be on your own in that realm.

Plus the bulbs may need to be tweaked for your liking. I have a different color set than most have in mind.

Last edited by eodmike; 02-14-2013 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: More info.
eodmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #18
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Responses.

I'm so Glad to see the activity here.

I've been lurking trying to find someone in the shrimpery section in Michigan for months now haha, Now I know, Grand Rapids is the place to go.

My stores are limited, Mostly Something's fishy in Clio, Meh on the overall.
Aquatic Gardens and Oceans odyssey pet store in Saginaw, also meh.

Not one person in any of those stores has ever asked my name.

Well, I've rambled, Glad to see activity in the forum, and happy to know there are more than 5 aquarists in Michigan.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
eodmike
Algae Grower

If you ever get a chance go to Pruess. They may be too busy to ask your name but it is a must go if your anywhere near driving distance to it. It looks like Clio to Lansing is about the same as GR to Lansing. I don't know much about the people on your side of the state so can't help with anything closer. I know you have some world class guppy breeders. That's it for my knowledge of fish and Detroit area.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
crazydog64
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Well if your looking for stuff on the southeast side there's quite a bit. I made a map off of GMYukon's LFS thread on google so you can see if there's anything close to you
http://goo.gl/maps/imcLB

If you guys/girls want anything added to the map let me know.
crazydog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #21
eodmike
Algae Grower

I think VIPets in Grand Rapids but only the Plainfield location. The others will be a disappointment.

MVPets in Kalmazoo is a good one as well. There is a saltwater only place in Zeeland that is amazing but can't think of the name and don't think thats what the list is for anyways.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I'm pretty excited to see so many in Grand Rapids, too. I love the idea of a trading thread, but unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to contribute anything worthwhile for awhile (unless people like/want art, ha).

But I enjoy supporting local, so if I can't trade yet maybe then I can buy trimmings! Or shrimpies. I really want to have some shrimpies in the tank, but I still need to research if any of my target fauna will pose a major threat to them.

ETA: I'd never heard of Pruess, but I'm going to be driving across the state tomorrow. I'll see if I can convince the hubby to make a detour stop to check it out if you guys think it's worthwhile to see (even if I can't buy livestock/plants yet).
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #23
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullafishi View Post
I'm pretty excited to see so many in Grand Rapids, too. I love the idea of a trading thread, but unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to contribute anything worthwhile for awhile (unless people like/want art, ha).

But I enjoy supporting local, so if I can't trade yet maybe then I can buy trimmings! Or shrimpies. I really want to have some shrimpies in the tank, but I still need to research if any of my target fauna will pose a major threat to them.

ETA: I'd never heard of Pruess, but I'm going to be driving across the state tomorrow. I'll see if I can convince the hubby to make a detour stop to check it out if you guys think it's worthwhile to see (even if I can't buy livestock/plants yet).

I've never been to Pruess but I've never heard anything but good things about Pruess. I just wish it was closer to where I live.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I'm right off of Lake St. Clair. So I'm like 2.5-3 hours from GR.

Right now I have 3 tanks setup which I took down 2 tanks.

110g - White clouds, mollies, cardinal tetras, black skirt tetras, glow light tetras, bleeding heart tetras, kuhli loaches, south american catfish, glass catfish, red eye tetra, bloodfin tetra, glass tetra, white skirt tetra, scissortail rasbora, and sakura shrimp.

55g - albino BN plecos, brown BN plecos, albino long finned BN plecos, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda cories, pygmy cories, smudge spot cories, and rili shrimp.

10g - Blue show guppies and deep red cherry shrimp.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #25
eodmike
Algae Grower

It is worth the detour. I promise you. They are the best Freshwater Fish, Saltwater Fish, Reptile/Amphibian, Bird, and tank place in the state IMHO.

They breed a good deal of what they carry in store. I've had a tour its impressive.

http://preusspets.com/store/

That will get you to the website they have some videos that my get you to really want to make that trip.

PS I'm not affiliated with that store at all. It just is basically what I dream to own one day.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Wow. I think a detour is certainly in order. I'm sure I could easily spend hours there!
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #27
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Preuss pets

I lived in downtown Lansing for almost 6 years, I only made it to Preuss's
A half dozen times, but loved it every time I went.

Shelob was amazing to watch, She was a giant Tarantula.

The Preuss breeding setup is on site if I remember correctly, which is more than impressive. Especially seeing as how everyone imports stuff cross country near me.

I've heard great things about the Fish doctors in I think Livonia, and Ypsilanti.

And Fantastic Fins in Detroit is also Highly recommended.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #28
eodmike
Algae Grower

Maechael. You are right it is on site. If you find Rick (the owner) and show interest and it isn't a weekend (they are swamped) he may just show you around. I have some fish connections so maybe he was just being nice to me trying to get them I'm not sure but they seem pretty good. He breeds enough that he even supplies some other stores on occasion. They also breed reptiles, poison dart frogs, and birds on site. Really an impressive place they have. Its rare to find a good fish store let alone a good fish, bird, reptile, and small animal pet store.

Anyways pretty cool we have so many active guys/girls around the area.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #29
Stella Blue
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodmike View Post
No need to dream. The stand and canopy are functional but crap. I'd suggest building new. I think I could make a pretty decent 125 gallon + IceCapp Ballast + 2 Darn Near New bulbs + Sump + Panworld Pump + Heater + Substrate deal. I wouldn't want to pawn off the crappy hood and stand so you'd be on your own in that realm.

Plus the bulbs may need to be tweaked for your liking. I have a different color set than most have in mind.
I wish i could..... i'm at the aquarium tippin' point with my other half already!

I'd be totally intrested in swapping lists of current plants we have!

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #30
eodmike
Algae Grower

I understand. I push it with my wife sometimes. Right now I don't have much in the line of cool plants but once the move is done I plan on setting up a propigation rack for plants nano fish and shrimp. I'll keep you posted.