Sump stuff - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Sump stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rballi View Post
I am just planning on using a used 29 or 40 breeder if I can find one. Is the best way to reduce splashing and noise just attributed to well placed and adjusted ball valve? Everything about using a sump seems very appealing to me, but I will not enjoy it if the tank is noisy...
Exactly.

You will get noise from the overflow, but it too can be tweaked to make it inaudible or to acceptable levels.

from my iP5 via Tapa 2

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
Exactly.

You will get noise from the overflow, but it too can be tweaked to make it inaudible or to acceptable levels.

from my iP5 via Tapa 2
from experience (very recent)
this is entirely attributed to drain sizing. either full siphon or a properly sized gravity siphon is neccessary
1 inch drains cannot quietly handle more than 300 gph.
my 75 just got outfitted with a 1.5 inch bulkhead and drains and is as quiet as the pump while is chopping up co2

and its not reduced by a valve so i don't have to worry about any sort of potential overflow, or safety issue
Old 02-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default Sump stuff

Any recommendations of models of overflows for this setup to run around 1300 gph or so?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Have you considered drilling the back of your tank?
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #20
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Sump stuff

I haven't yet...I wouldn't need a box then...not sure what it would take to get that done. Any direction on this?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #21
jart
Wannabe Guru

Ok then have a look at my thread here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=141504

I know it seems kind of lame but this tank is still not set up yet. I'm currently waiting for the stand to be built, and my life has just been crazy busy. For the record, I think I'm just going to go with a canister. But you may get some ideas by looking through the thread. I was intrigued by the gl[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]s website... they even have a video of how to drill the glass. In my opinion, drilling is likely safer (in terms of flooding) vs overflow boxes. Take that from someone who has never run a sump... but that's my belief, based on the reading I've done.

I know lots of people here run sumps... you can learn a lot by going through their threads. Wkndracer, jcardona, amongst others. jcardona has a youtube video that you can likely find. He uses a Beananimal design, which is meant to offer the best in terms of noise and safety. Although, it does require a bit of complexity.

If you go to youtube and search for uarajoey, you can look through some of his videos on sumps.
That should be a start for you. There are a lot of terms to be learned... herbie, durso, etc. I'd start with the gl[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]s website and hopefully that will clear things up for you. My head was spinning for a few days, but it all became clearer after a while. HTH.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
jart
Wannabe Guru

I'm not really sure why my link above was censored. The website is www.glass-holes.com. But from another forum post I think the OP is already aware of this. Good luck; I'll be following along.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #23
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (201/100%)

I"ve heard good things about those glass holes overflows as well. If I wasn't so chicken to drill my tank I'd go that route.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Sump stuff

Yes, I found them while I was searching through some reef sites. I looked them up and watched a bunch of YouTube videos to watch the drilling process. I guess the thicker the glass the better and less likely that it will break. I will be ordering their 1500 gph kit once I get the stand going.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Try a local saltwater forum. They always have a member who drills tanks.