CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

And then there was one. I'm going to shut down all my tanks and make this my one and only. I'm leaning towards expanding on my river rock scape but my add some Iwagumi fusion to it. Time will tell. Gonna take this project slow.

Decided water evaporation was to quick on my previous nano tanks and hated the hard water lines it created. So I'm going sump. Got a Aqueon modular model 1 sump. Yes I know, could've made my own (which I have in the past) but with time contraints and family responsibilities, I rather just buy stuff now a days.

Got the Mr. Aqua 12 gal tank today from an LFS and water testing it for now. I saw an Aqueon 33 long tank and loved it but can't go away from the rimless look now. Kind of wonder why Aqueon doesn't get into the rimmless aquarium arena and make some extra bucks.

Notice the Eshopps nano overflow box is not meant for rimless tanks. The water level would be way to low so I need to build some sort of contraption to lift the overflow to a higher level.

That's it for now. Going to work on my master list of stuffs later. Still deciding on if I'm going with the Finnex Ray II 7k/7K LED fixture but I'm leaning towards that particular light.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are they making those with low iron glass now? Mine looks a bit green compared to yours.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
Are they making those with low iron glass now? Mine looks a bit green compared to yours.
Not sure. I thought Mr. Aqua always made it like this. I'm loving the dimensions. Should be up and running in a month.
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

get some s.s mesh and make a pre filter for that overflow, i lost a few shrimp from them falling through when i had mine.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)

Wow that tank is beautiful. I was looking at the tank cluster in the back at first. I was like.. That doesn't look like a 12g tank!!

Then I started looking around your pic, and I saw that mammoth.

Yeah that is on my list of wants! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

I have a long tank, and I would recommend two filters for increased water motion and more than one intake for cleaning.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
get some s.s mesh and make a pre filter for that overflow, i lost a few shrimp from them falling through when i had mine.
Will do. How is that finnex ray 2. I noticed you got it directly on top of tank. Are you running into algae issues? I've been reading your journal..... great stuff. Thanks for your contribution to the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Wow that tank is beautiful. I was looking at the tank cluster in the back at first. I was like.. That doesn't look like a 12g tank!!

Then I started looking around your pic, and I saw that mammoth.

Yeah that is on my list of wants! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

I have a long tank, and I would recommend two filters for increased water motion and more than one intake for cleaning.
Mammoth? That's funny to say about this tank cause I consider it to be a nano...lol, but I know what you mean. I'm loving this tank and hope I can make an aquascape worthy of it.

I'll be tinkering with how the water flow is when I get all my products. Going to devote all my time and energy into one tank instead of 7.

Last edited by CryptKeeper54; 01-26-2013 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

I prefer the anticipation, the journey not the destination, the build up, etc. Maybe because my end results usually suck but that's another thing. Anyways, just waiting on my sump now. I've planned the aquascape and mostly gonna work with my intuition on planting day.

I'm set on doing cheap RCS since I got an overflow and don't want to worry about expensive shrimp. So that leaves me to picking a schooling tetra that won't color clash with my shrimp and plants. Doing research now and hopefully updating my site with fresh content. Got to keep the dream alive.

I'm still contemplating on what to do with my eheim aquastyles, ADA Mini M and Schuber Wright tank. And not to mention my fluval tanks. Decisions, decisions, what to do....

Got the Finnex Ray II DS 7000k/7000k LEDs. This thing is nice and sweet.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Jsquared
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

So jealous haha. I have been wanting nearly this same exact setup for a while now. I just need the room. I can't wait to see this all setup.
Jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

I love this tank, cant wait to see what you'll do.
binbin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can't wait to see it set up and see how the ray II does. I found this tank locally but I can't afford the $113 price tag for another one. Subscribed!
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

The process has been slow but today made some progress. Broke down my Scuber Wright tank, did some cleaning and tied a bunch of anubias nana petite to some river stones. My other two tanks are now waiting to be transplanted. I'm reusing my Aquasoil since its less then 6 months old. Still waiting on my sump as there was a delay in shipping. Will drill holes in the table for the input and output lines for a clean look.

Side note: this cabinet stand I bought from City Mill is a nice match for my Eheim Aquastyle 6 gallon (my future shrimp tank).

In the mean time, I'm studying the rule of thirds and aquascaping principles in general. Trying to take the next step of making a "contest worthy" tank.

This is the branch wood I had in my Fuval Edge 6 gallon. I'm liking that position and plan to put the other set of branch wood on the left 1/3 line, making it the main focal point of the tank. Or at least that's what I think its suppose to do.

Comments and suggestions welcomed. I want to get things done right. Anyone got suggestions on where I plan to place my sump overflow box.

Last edited by CryptKeeper54; 02-14-2013 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Jarek Strzechowski
Algae Grower

Really cool tank! I can't wait to see how it turns out! You should put discus in it!!
Jarek Strzechowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
defender.TX
Algae Grower

I really love that wood. Makes the tank look larger than it is, in my opinion. What about putting the overflow box on the opposite side of the tank from the driftwood (left side looking at it). I'm worried if you put it on the right side behind the drift wood it would make that side of the tank look way too busy.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek Strzechowski View Post
Really cool tank! I can't wait to see how it turns out! You should put discus in it!!
Tank is way to small for discus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender.TX View Post
I really love that wood. Makes the tank look larger than it is, in my opinion. What about putting the overflow box on the opposite side of the tank from the driftwood (left side looking at it). I'm worried if you put it on the right side behind the drift wood it would make that side of the tank look way too busy.
ADA branch wood is what my LFS calls it. Its great for nano tanks. Where the overflow is in the pic will go another set of branch wood to somewhat hide the overflow. That's the plan for now.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared View Post
So jealous haha. I have been wanting nearly this same exact setup for a while now. I just need the room. I can't wait to see this all setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin9 View Post
I love this tank, cant wait to see what you'll do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
I can't wait to see it set up and see how the ray II does. I found this tank locally but I can't afford the $113 price tag for another one. Subscribed!
This tank is the bomb. They should make more rimless tanks like a 33 long, 20 long, just long tanks in general.