eclipse 6, plastic to planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-21-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
chacal
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

All,

I've got an eclipse system 6 that's been up and running for a while now, and I've been thinking about going from plastic to live plants. I've gotten some good ideas for low-light plants from a bunch of threads on this site. It currently houses a fancy male guppy, a pair of harlequin rasboras, 3 neon tetras, and a pair of tiny pygmy corydoras. Anyway, it's my only tank, and I'm curious about how I'd make the transition to a planted tank without taking a toll on my existing fish.

Currently the substrate is the pretty good sized epoxy coated gravel (I think this is it: http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...sku=3465210501 ), which sounds like it's not ideal for planting. I'm willing to go to a substrate like flourite, but I need advice on how to make the switchover.

If I take the fish out and put them in a temporary container with most of the tank water, and then take out all the gravel and replace it with another substrate..will the tank settle quickly enough to replace the fish before they get in trouble in a bucket? Will I lose too much of the good bacteria (or is there enough in the filter and biowheel)? Should I mix the existing (pretty large) gravel with a substrate?

Thanks for your help!

Phil
chacal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

getting a 5 gallon bucket from HD would be a good place to start, you could drain the water from the tank to the bucket and keep the fish in the bucket. You could then go with a 50/50 mix of flourite and existing gravel therefore keeping a good amount of bacteria. The Biowheel will help with the transition as long as it is kept moist but not submerged during the process.
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2003, 09:51 PM   #3
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

If you want flourite to settle out in a short ammount of time, use a diatom filter or add a focculant
digger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2003, 02:01 PM   #4
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

It probably won't clear up real quickly, but your fish will be fine in a bucket over night. Trust me, been there, done that. Drain about half the water into the bucket, and scoop the fish in, and take out the bio wheel, and add that into the bucket as weel. Finish draining the tank, and take out your old gravel. It's a bit to large for this, and will make ur tank look smaller, and give your plants a hard time rooting. Then rinse your bag of flourite, and let it dry. (you could probably do this before you even start, to make the transistion faster and eaiser). Put the flourite into the tank, and very very carefully, add water to the tank. It woudl be best to gently scoop it up with a margarine container, into the tank,a nd gently pour it onto a plate, or a piece of plastic lying on the bottom of the tank, fill it about 2/3 with original water, and add some top off of clean water and let the filter do it's job. With any luck, it won't be a total mess, and your fish can go in, within a few hours, if not the next day.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2003, 05:10 AM   #5
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a 6g eclipse but have found the stock lighting to be barely enough for java fern, java moss, and Anubias Barteri var. Nana, espesially with the light's poor placement and the filter blocking a lot of light from the rear. I'm currently researching light upgrades, I have a 13w kit from AHSupply that could go in, but I might go with 18w or 27w.

If I could go back, I would have just got a 10g with an Aquaclear filter & DIY hood instead.
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.