First time assistance with fertilizers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
psych
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First time assistance with fertilizers

I was hoping someone could set me up with some basic first time advice in dosing fertilizer. Here's what I have..

6 gallon Fluval Edge with stock lights
Regular aquarium gravel
A few guppies and otto's. Otto's have been in for about two weeks, guppies for about 2 months.
No ammonia, nitrites, and very little nitrate. I do a 25% water change weekly
No CO2
Neutral-ish PH

So far I have one plant, Anubias Nana (I suppose) planted slightly above the gravel. It's been there since I first set up the tank in mid-december. I now know the rhizome should not be planted and this is 99% above the gravel. It's not dying, but it's also not really growing. Some algae was having its way in there but the otto's quickly dispatched it.

I have needle leaf java fern, anubia petite, and rotala (not sure what kind) on the way. I plan on planting the rotala and anubias in the gravel and attaching the fern to driftwood.

Currently I have no fertilizer whatsoever (aside from fish waste), a fairly low light situation, and no CO2.

Do I even need fertilizer because of the low light and no CO2? I read about the triangle of the the three (nutrients, CO2, and light) and that made me question it.

If so, would liquid fertilizer (like a flourish) do the trick for both kinds of plants (the fern which sucks nutrients from the water and the rest from the gravel) or should I do a root tab and a liquid. I was thinking about doing plain old Flourish and maybe Excel due to lack of CO2. I know they're not a comparison, but it's probably better than nothing.

Sorry for rambling so much. I'm just really seeking some assistance in which route I should go and what to use for my situation. I have low light, no CO2, a relatively light bio-load (I think)and undemanding plants, but I still want to assist them in remaining healthy even if growth is slow. I know dry fertilizer is cheaper in the long run but that's for another time. Really, the end question I guess is root tabs, flourish (or its equivalent) and what kind of it. I know they have like six different kinds but I suspect I really don't need them all for this situation. I've read a significant amount here, but I have to admit. Still confused. Any assistance is appreciated.
psych is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hi. What kind of gravel is "regular gravel?" Corys are very sensitive to sharp gravel around the mouth parts and get infected. Better to get 1-3 mm. size gravel that's uncoated.

I don't understand why the nitrate is so little. You have had only 1, slow-growing plant.

re ferts, they need to be dosed correctly, but I use Flourish Comprehensive and tabs to handle micronutrients ( both have just micronutrients). At the current point it looks like I have a deficiency in Potassium (Nitrogen Phosphate, Potassium = NPK) and I'm going to dose Potassium.

There is supposed to be some NPK in tap water which varies from area to area. You can't get it with Flourish Comprehensive or tabs. The main question is do you need it. I wouldn't use it until there is a deficiency that shows in plants' leaves. Look around for a deficiency leaf chart.

Tank 1 v.2.0 10g; 10W x2 CFL; Fluval U2; MGOCPM
the Fraternity of Dirt
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
psych
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi, I don't have Cory's, I have Otto's http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...923&pcatid=923

I don't think there's a problem with them and regular gravel but I'll look into it. Thank you.

I was thinking about dosing floruish comprehensive. What kind of tabs do you use? Also by Flourish? I'm not so sure about the nitrates, maybe because I change my water so frequently.

Am I reading this correctly when you're suggesting just to dose micronutrients and let the macros be until a deficiency shows?
psych is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych View Post
Hi, I don't have Cory's, I have Otto's http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...923&pcatid=923

I don't think there's a problem with them and regular gravel but I'll look into it. Thank you.

I was thinking about dosing floruish comprehensive. What kind of tabs do you use? Also by Flourish? I'm not so sure about the nitrates, maybe because I change my water so frequently.

Am I reading this correctly when you're suggesting just to dose micronutrients and let the macros be until a deficiency shows?
That is what I have done with my 10g tank. I'm really not an expert and you should post another post in ferts and water quality. You can also maintain a correct level of NPK (Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphate)and see what the plants say, and increase ferts as needed.

No prob. I use Flourish Comp (liquid) and Flourish tabs under the roots of the heavy root-feeders like Sword Plants, which would not fit into your tank or would outgrow it. 25% water change per week is not unusual, but just as a guess, you will need to put up the water changes (weekly) to 50% because of the small volume of the tank.

Tank 1 v.2.0 10g; 10W x2 CFL; Fluval U2; MGOCPM
the Fraternity of Dirt
Django is offline   Reply With Quote