Callamanus WORMS... updated 2/5/2013 - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #46
switch26
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just noticed this post.. I got Camallanus worms or whatever in one of my Golden rams, and didn't know what it was til he got really bad.. I first went to Tractor supply and got Fendbendazole or whatever.. and soaked blood worms in it and then treated. Didn't work all that well.. I had to wait for a Vet to get Levamisol for me. Some tractor supplies have it apparently so if some of you guys are struggling to find it check out any tractor supply stores. My host fish died the night before i got the Levamisole.. My rams were all store bred, so idk where i got the worm from..

Anyway, i did a 24 hour treatment twice and it seemed to clear up the worms in my rams.. All of their color returned and they began scooting around the tank as usual.

I returned everything back to my 30 gallon out of the Quarantined 5 gallon.. as none of my other fish have any signs of it. But just in case i did do 1 treatment on my 30 gallon and plan to do another one probably next wk just in case..

They suggest to vacuum your gravel and drain the water because of the eggs from the worms and Levamisol doesn't necessarily kill the worms, it just stuns them then they fall into your tank.. that is why they say to vacuum.

Can't believe no one has posted this article, but you all need to read this if you have any issues with C. Worms

http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari...ydrochloride-1
switch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #47
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch26 View Post
I just noticed this post.. I got Camallanus worms or whatever in one of my Golden rams, and didn't know what it was til he got really bad.. I first went to Tractor supply and got Fendbendazole or whatever.. and soaked blood worms in it and then treated. Didn't work all that well.. I had to wait for a Vet to get Levamisol for me. Some tractor supplies have it apparently so if some of you guys are struggling to find it check out any tractor supply stores. My host fish died the night before i got the Levamisole.. My rams were all store bred, so idk where i got the worm from..

Anyway, i did a 24 hour treatment twice and it seemed to clear up the worms in my rams.. All of their color returned and they began scooting around the tank as usual.

I returned everything back to my 30 gallon out of the Quarantined 5 gallon.. as none of my other fish have any signs of it. But just in case i did do 1 treatment on my 30 gallon and plan to do another one probably next wk just in case..

They suggest to vacuum your gravel and drain the water because of the eggs from the worms and Levamisol doesn't necessarily kill the worms, it just stuns them then they fall into your tank.. that is why they say to vacuum.

Can't believe no one has posted this article, but you all need to read this if you have any issues with C. Worms

http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari...ydrochloride-1
Hi switch

I dont want to scare you, but all of the research i have seen (and yes, i came upon that article) states exactly what charles wrote about this this article.(http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamellanusTreatment.pdf)

I HIGHLY doubt 24 hours of treatment was enough. These are parasites, not bacteria are are NOT easily killed. Simply dosing and then expecting just to vaccum them out are the reason we are seeing resistant strains of C worms. They are extremely hardy parasites and everything i have seen stated treatment for 3 days twice. I know the entire post is alot, but most of what you posted here is discussed within all of the posts. The Lev actually does completely kill the worm. I watched this happen over a 3 day period as my large angels got rid of them.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #48
Leighkai76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Just wanted to pipe in and say I also bought from Charles and so far it seems to have worked. I unfortunately bought from ebay first and that stuff had no effect.
Leighkai76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #49
switch26
Algae Grower

Sorry if I wasn't that clear in my explanation. I also contacted that Charles guy, he responded to me once, then never returned an email so I went elsewhere for my levamisole.

Anyway, I followed his instructions as well. When i mentioned 24 hours, it also depends on how strong the levamisole you are dosing as well..

Like some of the people mention, putting in more than what is called for doesn't hurt the fish.

Don't worry I did treat my Rams 3 times, I just dosed the recommended dosage and let it go in my tank for 24 hours, then did a water changed. Several days later I dosed again.

I no longer see any worms. I do understand that C. Worms are very resistant, but most become this way if they are born in fish farms where they became resistant to lots of medications.. The fish i bought were raised in a pet store and didn't have all the fish farm type meds. So far all my fish are completely fine.

Like i said i plan on treating my tank several more times to be sure. Even though I don't have any more fish showing any issues. At least I have a cure if they get it again.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #50
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

The thing with buying lev and other meds meant for other animals, is many times there are other additives. Pure lev is extremly hard to find and Charles was pretty much the only source.

It did take him nearly a week to get back to me after submitting the request. I think we will need more input from other people regarding the reaction of fish to lev though. Nearly everyone of my fish became sluggish and refused to eat for 2 days following dosage. Additionally, i lost all snails
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #51
switch26
Algae Grower

see I had a completely different reaction. After 24 hours my Rams that were infected with C. Worms, were active and all their color had come back. Their appetite came back better than ever too. What is included in the Levamisole you got?

When they were infected i could see the worms coming out of them and my fish would just sit on the bottom and wouldn't eat..

The next day like i mentioned they were swimming all over and color had come back. I since dosed another one for them.

The levamisole i got from a Vet in a neighboring town worked great. Ill have to look when i get home tomorrow to see exactly what it was.. but it is the powder form and it isn't 10% like most people say.. It is a much higher concentration

I was lucky I was able to get ahold of it without a prescription.. they are kind of a hillbilly middle of nowhere Vet office and they didn't care.

Last edited by switch26; 02-14-2013 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: changed something
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #52
switch26
Algae Grower

forgot to add, im pretty sure I got the good levamisole without a bunch of additives.. Prob why it worked so well. I on the other hand didn't have an issue with it killing all my snails.. Although i do have a lot of them.. some may have died, but i definitely don't mind.

They were eating all my Ram's eggs
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #53
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

Ya... we definitely need more people to post their experiences. Charles believed it was due to the knots of the worms detaching in the fishes intestines. Which from a biological stand point, makes sense. My fish were definitely back to normal within 1 hour of me removing the lev from the water column. In fact, they are eating like horses now.

I really noticed it the worms take it hard to my Bolivian rams. My female i don't think has fully recovered, but she is back to eating a lot once again and most of her color and fins have come back.

If i was to buy lev from anywhere else. It definitely would be a vet. I would stay clear of buying it from an online source besides charles

but i definitely appreciate this conversation, because i know all of these posts will help someone else one day
Old 02-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #54
switch26
Algae Grower

yea i agree.. it makes sense that it will depend on how bad they have the worms.. like my fish only had 1 or 2 worms at the most sticking out..

When my 2 golden rams in my QT'ed tank got better i didn't see any of the worms in the bottom of the tank.. I have no gravel in it so it was easy to see anything that came out of them.. My filter did suck up a lot though. I had been feeding them blood worms to pass the worms quicker, and some of the fecal matter was extremely dark red, which could of included some of the worms in them? That was when I noticed that they were much healthier and swimming about in the tank instead of idling and sitting by themselves in the corner. Hope i don't have to deal with this again, but for 30 dollars my Vet got me 100 grams, which is basically a lifetime supply of the stuff lol.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #55
marko d
Algae Grower

My experience seems different than most peoples. My fish were fine for the first dose, then lost after retreating 3 weeks later. Same procedure.

I'm pretty sure my ram has them, based soley on clear, stringy waste. Not every time, but enough to make me think so. Its eating normal, good color, actively swimming.

Based on my first experience, I am hesitant to use levamisole again. But don't want to wait until its too late. I've got some on the way.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
marko d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #56
switch26
Algae Grower

because they have long stringy feces doesn't always mean they have a parasite, or worm like C. Worm..

They could be constipated, or several other stomach issues. Just keep an eye on them. If they have C. Worms they should be sticking out of the anal area
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #57
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

when you msg Charles, make sure be specific and show him proof that you are a fish tank enthusiast, but not a crack head. he sure will provide help to the fish keepers instead of guys who want to make their cocaine weight more(diluted), lol.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote