seachem safe and high nitrite
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Contrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

seachem safe and high nitrite

Is there any reason why water treated with Seachem safe would test really high in nitrite?

I guess it could be possible that there's soooooo much chloramine in my water that it's causing a mini-cycle when I change.

p.s. how do I acurately check nitrite when it's off the scale, 2x as much water? or mix 2.5ml of tank with 2.5ml of distilled?. or whatever percentage actually gives me an on-scale reading?
Contrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Does anything show up in fresh or aged tap?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

If this is in your aquarium, then like with total ammonia, Safe will not stop nitrite from showing up in your testing.

Per the product page: To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 400 L (100 gallons*). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified. May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is > 30 C (86 F) cut dosing in half.
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrl View Post
p.s. how do I acurately check nitrite when it's off the scale, 2x as much water? or mix 2.5ml of tank with 2.5ml of distilled?. or whatever percentage actually gives me an on-scale reading?
I think dilution with RO/DI/distilled water is probably the best bet. I'd start with a 1/10 (1 part aquarium, 9 parts RO water, and then test from that mix like you normally would, and multiply the results x10. If that gives you a result that is too low to register, aim for some middle amount, like 1/3 or something.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have used lochaber's method to get test results when the initial sample was 'off the chart' too high.

I started at the other end, though, and tried 50% RO + 50% aquarium water.
Then doubled the test result.

Only once did I have to use a more diluted sample:
75% RO + 25% aquarium water, then multiply the test result by 4.

Ditto steven p: Is the NO2 test showing the same result on tap water with no dechlor? Do ammonia or chlorine tests show anything?

My tap water will test 1 ppm chlorine and 1 ppm ammonia from chloramine. Dechlor (Chloramine Buster by Clear Pond) and API 2-bottle ammonia test will show zero ammonia after the dechlor has done its job.

I just got a bottle of Safe today, so I will test this weekend and see what the test kits show after using it. (Of course I will test 'before' also!)
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote