Planting in Holey RocK?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Red face

Planting in Holey RocK?

So the texas holey rock I have in my cichlid tank got me thinking. Could I fill some of the holes (obviously the ones that don't go all the way through), with substrait and a root tab and plant maybe anubias in it? Has anyone does this before? Below is a picture of the tank. As you can see the holes are not very big, more like craters.

12 pristella tetras, 23 cardinal tetra, 8 amano shirmp, 2 bamboo/flower shrimp, 1 mystery snail, 2 nerite snails, several assassin snails and cherry shrimp.
PlantedTankLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't see why not as long as there's some light that can hit the rhizome of your Anubias and or other plants
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I've actually always wanted to try this, filling nooks and crannies in a rock with root tabs and planting stems in it
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

For anubias, java fern, and bolbitis(i think?), you could just attach them to the rock, no substrate necessary. use superglue, a rubber band, thread/twine, or wedge them (gently) in a crevice/gap.

you may be able to plant some other plant in the craters, but the roots would be really limited, so you should stick to something that has a smaller root system.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I had a holey piece of lava rock that I just crammed a SS mesh pieces into the bottom of the holes and then "hooked" the roots of some various plants through the mesh.

Bulb plants also work really good for those holes
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
I had a holey piece of lava rock that I just crammed a SS mesh pieces into the bottom of the holes and then "hooked" the roots of some various plants through the mesh.

Bulb plants also work really good for those holes
Would you happen to have a picture of that? Would love to see it. I dont have the best of luck with growing plants in this tank. So I've been playing with lights and adding excel every few days. Looks like I have some shopping to do. Oh my husband is going to kill me! Maybe he wont notice the plants. lol

12 pristella tetras, 23 cardinal tetra, 8 amano shirmp, 2 bamboo/flower shrimp, 1 mystery snail, 2 nerite snails, several assassin snails and cherry shrimp.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I looked through my tank journal threads, and I can't find a single picture of the mesh being put in or anything! Shame on me!

I found this one though that shows a couple of bulb plants growing from a hole:

Here are the roots when removed:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

That looks really nice! Yup I'm sold! Off to the for sale thread for some shopping :-)

Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

hmm, do you think i could get a similar affect by drilling holes in the rock?

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
It seems reasonable, but it might look too artificial if the holes are perfectly uniform.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
Sometimes you can find pumice stones under the name/brand 'feather rock' - It's really lightweight, and you can saw/poke holes in it rather easily. I've seen this stuff used to make desktop fountains and with bonsais and such.

Only thing is, is that it floats pretty easily, you'd probably have to treat it like driftwood, silicone it to a piece of slate or something until it gets waterlogged (not sure if that happens, or how long it takes...)
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

hmm, i like this idea, it could help get some plants that would normally be on substrate level higher up, making them easier to view. I think the pumice would work really well, or i can take a walk in the woods and see what i can find, we get a lot of old stone walls around here that have some superb stones in them, also some massive 200-300 pounders that wouldn't necessarily work

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote