Filter ideas for a 10 gallon?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Filter ideas for a 10 gallon?

I'm playing around with the idea of doing something different filtration wise with my 10 gallon. ATM, I have two Marineland Penguin 100's....and its just a bit annoying to constantly be replacing that blue mesh on a bi-weekly (if not more often) basis. I was almost thinking about just adding another Penguin 100 (I have the space for it and otherwise the filters run fine) or replace one of the Penguins with a larger type filter.

Alternatively, I was half debating about canister filters, but not sure if I like that route for this tank because it is on a table and there is no real good place for the canister to be on the floor. But if I were to go canister, what kind of canister would be a good idea? I do like to over filter, and for this tank, my only flow is the filtration and I'm considering doing hillstream loaches which would mean I would need a very good amount of flow.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

Why are you replacing filter media? Can't you just rinse and reuse?

If you went the filter route and could place it beneath the tank, I'm a fan of Eheim 2213 and use one on my own 10gal. In my opinion, it's the best canister for the tank that you can buy for under $100.

Fluval also has a couple great filters that would work.

If you want to go cheaper, maybe consider one of the eBay SunSun filters.

However... if you don't want to go the canister route but want more flexibility for media customization and various tweaks? Consider getting an AquaClear HOB. An AC 50 or 70 would give you tons of room and a lot of ability to tweak flow.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

The blue mesh cartridges is a waste of money anyways. Rip it off the plastic, rinse out the carbon crap. Put the plastic cage back in, and use it as a retaining gate per say. Just stuff pillow stuffing in the void. Huge bag costs like $5- prob last you a year literally. You can increase your biological if needed by putting some cermaic rings or matrix below the stuffing, even sponge pieces.

Canisters are always a better choice over HOB's but i always struggle to accept paying for one on such small tanks, but if i were to get one for a 10 gallon a Eheim 2213 or 2215 would be move then enough i would think. I think the smallest Fluval would be too much, and cost more then those eheims. Personally not a fan of any of the other brands.

Last edited by CrypticLifeStyle; 02-16-2013 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: ...
CrypticLifeStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

hrmmm, I might just use filter floss instead of that blue mesh cartage. I should have some laying around at home.

I might for now just play around with increasing filter floss and adding some extra biological components to the filter. Then if I still need more I'll probably just get another HOB and do the same thing with that as well.

I'll wait for having a 10 gallon elsewhere before doing a canister.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

HOB modding can lead to endless ideas of doing things, and save a ton of money in the long run. Here's a recent thread for a 350, but all the same idea no matter what HOB is being used.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...p?f=6&t=253941

I supplied a bunch of pictures of some of my current, and older setups.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

An AC30 placed on the side of the tank (flowing across) will give you over filtration and very good flow.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

actually....maybe I'd customize my existing filters, add another one (eventually add another one) and.....maybe I could plant my HOB's....look at the 10 in my sig and tell me if a planted HOB or two would be a bad idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.