Newt Tank Build - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #91
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Wow amazing ,that looks like a zoo exhibit.
thanks so much Lia
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #92
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
that looks awesome Jake. Nce job!!! what's the treelike plant in the center/right?
Thanks Bill. Already running into issues of course, just like any new build. The tree is a ficus. I really like the look of it and hope I can make it work. Unfortunately water seems to be wicking up the coco fiber and titebond mixture and into the ficus pot. Its a soggy mess. The pot was dry as a bone when I filled the tank before potting so I know its not leaking in any way. The ficus seems to be doing fine but I imagine if the soil stays boggy, I will lose it soon enough. NOt sure what to do, I lowered the water level a bit but I can still see wet coco fibers all the way to the rim of the ficus' pot.

I also lost the ferns. With cold water the humidity is average at best and the acclimation just didnt go well. I took them out to acclimate them in a different spot. I replaced them with something else I had laying around. Doesnt look nearly as good but I will try and find some more ferns this spring. I also lost the hygro in the water section, replaced them with an anubias plant and another crypt.

Newts seem really happy in their new home!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #93
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

hey!! professor!! how's the tank/critters doing???
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #94
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey Bill,

here is a FTS of the build. plants acclimating well and growing. diatoms still an issue for now...........wont be long till that clears i guess. The new build is progressing on the hex tank.............might just turn out to be a good one!

Im gonna start a new journal...........probably on the terrarium page i suppose. let me know what you think.

best fishes

JD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0428.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	85058  

Attached Images

Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #95
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

that looks awesome jake!! i love the way you planted the aquatic section. so many people forget that part.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #96
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks bill! I made a few changes tonight as my black jungle shipment finally came in. Terrestrials made it thru pretty well but only time will tell. here are a few pics.............really hope the tillies hold up!

Last edited by Learner; 11-29-2013 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: room
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #97
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Jake, i don't know how i missed this. The tank looks awesome man. Those must be some happy newts!!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #98
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very nice! You should indeed have some happy critters in there.
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #99
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

and i see your little ficus tree is starting to take

btw.....i started the 125 there are pics in here if you don't mind a bit of searching. i think you'll be able to figure it out. R...take a peek as well, if you like
http://s1134.beta.photobucket.com/us...worek/library/
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #100
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
and i see your little ficus tree is starting to take

btw.....i started the 125 there are pics in here if you don't mind a bit of searching. i think you'll be able to figure it out. R...take a peek as well, if you like
http://s1134.beta.photobucket.com/us...worek/library/
Nice - looks like you're planning some buried PVC piping? Is this a 6' tank? I like that first piece, which I believe is a stump.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #101
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

I'm gonna hijack jake's thread a bit, but yeah, 6' tank. All plumbing is going to be completely buried. The plumbing across the top is for the 6' drip wall. On the right is a mini ficus stump and the left will be a much larger version, which will have a "puddle" in the void. I'm going for a true rainforest floor look. Ferns, aroids and vines.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #102
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bill I cant wait to see the 125...................nifty ideas. 6' drip wall sounds so tantilizing.

My ficus isnt gonna make it. I took all the soil out and it was just soaked. I replanted it and now its soaked again...............must have a leak or something I just cant figure. we'll see i guess. The crypt forest down below is really starting to rage.

Wishing my newt seemed more happy........... he used to frolic under the water but now has retreated to a mossy outcropping and hardly ever comes out. I am gonna have to grab him and put him in a bucket to get him to eat as he wont eat the earthworms i offered on land. only eats under the water. ill keep ya posted.

and thanks for the compliments gentlemen!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #103
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

howr far from your false bottom is the water line? wicking could be the reason your ficus is living in a bog.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #104
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Bill I cant wait to see the 125...................nifty ideas. 6' drip wall sounds so tantilizing.

My ficus isnt gonna make it. I took all the soil out and it was just soaked. I replanted it and now its soaked again...............must have a leak or something I just cant figure. we'll see i guess. The crypt forest down below is really starting to rage.

Wishing my newt seemed more happy........... he used to frolic under the water but now has retreated to a mossy outcropping and hardly ever comes out. I am gonna have to grab him and put him in a bucket to get him to eat as he wont eat the earthworms i offered on land. only eats under the water. ill keep ya posted.

and thanks for the compliments gentlemen!
Sad to hear, hopefully he gets over whatever is ailing him.

Quote:
howr far from your false bottom is the water line? wicking could be the reason your ficus is living in a bog.
Agree that this is the most likely source of the issue other than a leak, and I often find it to be the culprit in this type of tank.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #105
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wiking is the culprit. I dont really have a false bottom, i went with a different technique. Oh well, we'll see how long it can go.

Heres the newt on a happy day. I think he just like to hide. seems healthy i guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	112322