Indoor plant LED lighting for aquarium? Alternative Forms of Lighting?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
KevCNYC
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Indoor plant LED lighting for aquarium? Alternative Forms of Lighting?

Anyone know if these kinds of lights would be good for growing aquarium plants/ on a fish tank. I cant think of any reasons other than algae, but im looking for alternative LED plant lighting that would nessecarily be under aquarium related products. Any suggestions on non conventional lightings for aquariums? Just trying to see whats out there.
KevCNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

if you would consider an led with RGB adjustment, it would be equally as effective. i found the blue frequencies to promote the fastest growth while the red helped with leaf definition. A balance of the two is likely the best as overdoing one versus the other can cause problems. the overdose of blue actually triggered some crypts to melt, for example.

i mainly conducted the experiment for growth and not aesthetics as the light really doesnt make the tank very attractive but it does boost growth without a doubt.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
KevCNYC
Algae Grower

Wow great stuff thanks acitydweller, did u notice a high level of algae growth?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have used a mixed red and blue LED light, twelve 1W LEDs in a spotlight that screws into a regular bulb socket, which grew Java fern very nicely. It has also kept a series of plants in buckets from melting before I get them planted - crypts and hygrophila, some vals. I had much less algae growth than I do now using more viewer-friendly lighting (light is a screaming magenta and hurts to look at a bit). Only other downside was that it was on the expensive side. Also, you may have to go really high end to get medium or high light.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

actually zero algae growth surprisingly...

when you have either the blue or red light on, it really isnt all that bright but the light intensity is strong. I ran this on a fairly new tank with HM, Crypts, peacock moss tied to driftwood, asian ambrulia, and like 2-3 floaters. i have never seen moss grow so fast to carpet my entire driftwood and the ambrulia doubled in size reaching the water surface. The HM responded well to the light but was eventually shaded by the floaters which overran the tank. These color grow lamps arent much to look at if im honest, but it does wonders for certain plants.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
KevCNYC
Algae Grower

what about these you think?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/63..._t8_6700k.html

They are like t8 LED tub bulbs that retrofit into T8 fixtures? Used as industrial lighting but for a med light tank close to the surface, might be a cheap alternative. Any thoughts? They come in all colors, was looking at 6700k for a overall good range for fish and plants.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
homemadepopcorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Its a nice idea, but I wouldn't go spending a bunch of money on them until someone can test some PAR numbers and their reliability.
homemadepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote