MTS or Miracle Gro with Seachem Flourite Black Sand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
marcnc
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

MTS or Miracle Gro with Seachem Flourite Black Sand

So I think I have decided to go with Seachem Flourite Black Sand as my substrate either with MTS or Miracle Gro.

Suggestions as to which?

I am thinking MTS, mostly as the Seachem Flourite Black Sand is expensive, if I ever have to take the tank down, the MTS would be much easier to removed from the Seachem Flourite Black Sand, rather than the Miracle Gro.

Any thoughts on this? Or thoughts on the Seachem Flourite Black Sand?

Thanks so much
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

I'm not sure how you will remove one from the other when you take a tank down. It will be all mixed up.

I use "mineralized" organic miracle grow and added flourite black sand to cap. This was my first high tech tank and it is doing okay. However, I am using aquasoil in my low tech tank and it is doing very well.

If I had to do it over again, I would use Aquasoil (and I will be in all future tanks). It is more expensive but I think well worth it. As a beginner I need all the help I can get and I think Aquasoil takes one variable out of the way.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
marcnc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkychun View Post
I'm not sure how you will remove one from the other when you take a tank down. It will be all mixed up.

I use "mineralized" organic miracle grow and added flourite black sand to cap. This was my first high tech tank and it is doing okay. However, I am using aquasoil in my low tech tank and it is doing very well.

If I had to do it over again, I would use Aquasoil (and I will be in all future tanks). It is more expensive but I think well worth it. As a beginner I need all the help I can get and I think Aquasoil takes one variable out of the way.
Thanks for the info. Aquasoil is not an option. Cannot order online, it long story, either options are eco-complete or flourite black sand.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

You don't have to have black sand as the cap. I usually roll with miracle grow (I set it out in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks to get rid of the ammonia release), red clay, and black full sized flourite and get excellent results. The non-sand (gravel) form gives you better aeration and CEC. Give that a try as MTS is just a long process and I'm pretty sure you'll need to cap that as well.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
marcnc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
You don't have to have black sand as the cap. I usually roll with miracle grow (I set it out in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks to get rid of the ammonia release), red clay, and black full sized flourite and get excellent results. The non-sand (gravel) form gives you better aeration and CEC. Give that a try as MTS is just a long process and I'm pretty sure you'll need to cap that as well.

Thanks for the info. I would like a cap though, just uncertain which to go with sand or the eco. Looking for a black cap, don't want to use moon sand or the black diamond, so that why I am thinking should go with the eco or florite black sand. I was unsure about MTS (would have to make it) or I could just go to the store and buy the miracle grow.

So confused. ha ha
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I once used Flourite black sand with mineralized river silt - a soil. After a year I was able to easily remove 90% of the black sand, leaving the mineralized silt in the tank. And, I had mixed up a 50-50 layer of them between the sand and the silt. The fine particles in the silt settled to the bottom, leaving the sand free of the silt. I haven't tried this again, so I don't know if this is an unusual thing, or routine.

I also just tore down my tank with non-mineralized topsoil (out of a bag) under blasting grit. I couldn't separate them at all, and the topsoil was essentially a liquid goop in the bottom of the tank. Virtually all of the solids had liquified.