Lighting for a low-light 10 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Lighting for a low-light 10 gallon

Obviously the optimum would be to get an AHS light kit, but I'm hoping to be able to throw this together with stuff I can get locally or even have on hand.

Building the hood is no prob, I can do that with oak plywood scraps I have in the shop. But, what would be best for light for a low light tank? This is going to be a shrimp tank I think, so nothing real fancy, my LFS actually has some Java moss , and PetsMart actually has some Java fern (double .) I've run across mention about how the lighting "WPG" rule-of-thumb breaks down with smaller tanks and larger tanks, so I have no idea how to approach this. I recently saw a thread either here or on APC about a fellow who bought a fluorescent "trouble" light, gutted it, and I think wound up with two 9watt PC lights. Would that be enough? Also of course there's the screw in all-in-one fluorescent bulbs for which I already have stuff lying around so it would basically only cost me the price of the bulbs, although the problem there might be finding something in a "daylight" color.

Advice?

Thanks !

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

If you really do want a low light 10 gallon tank I think you should figure on using 20 watts or so of fluorescent light with good reflectors. So, the two 9 watt bulbs should be adequate. You could try two AH Supply 13 watt bulbs, but that might be edging into moderate light.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

Definitely want low light/low tech on this tank. I'll try the 20± watt route. The AHS kits are so dang efficient that like you suggest, I'm afraid it might be more than I want.

Thanks!

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
Old 04-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
uncskainch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to uncskainch Send a message via MSN to uncskainch Send a message via Yahoo to uncskainch

The Walmarts in my area carry 10w 6500k compact fluorescent screw-in bulbs very inexpensively in their aquarium departments. Two of those ought to do the trick over 10 gallons if you have a hood that will accept two screw-in bulbs.
29 g planted community tank, 2.48 WPG, DIY CO2, Greg Watson ferts -- Tank Journal Here! -- 5 gallon planted Marineland 5 gallon hex with 15w 6500k CF, Excel, 100% flourite substrate -- RCS & male dwarf puffer -- Tank Journal Here! -- 2.5 gallon planted MiniBow w/10w 6500 k CF, Excel -- mystery snail & RCS -- Tank Journal Here!
uncskainch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

Well I have the same setup, a 10 gallon shrimp tank with no co2 or ferts. I was able to scrounge up two fluorescent strip lights (normal output) of the right length for pretty cheap. I think the tubes are 15w each, and the lighting is perfect for what I want. Some algae grows, but that's great for the shrimpies, right?

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncskainch
The Walmarts in my area carry 10w 6500k compact fluorescent screw-in bulbs very inexpensively in their aquarium departments. Two of those ought to do the trick over 10 gallons if you have a hood that will accept two screw-in bulbs.
Thanks for the heads up. As for the hood, I will "Make it so." .

Ernie, exactly right. In this case a bit of algae is a *good* thing!

Old 04-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
gbhil
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Wally mart also sells 13 watt compact fluorescent trouble lights, and they happen to have 6700k bulbs in them. The ballast is also very small, and the lights are easy to take apart and mount under a hood.

I use one of these retrofitted into an eclipseI hood on a 10 gallon tank I use to selectively breed endlers, and guppy grass, java fern, and java moss grow very well in there.
gbhil is offline   Reply With Quote