Treasure chest in 29 Biocube?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Treasure chest in 29 Biocube?

My 29 Biocube saltwater setup looks halfway nice to me, but I think it needs some tweaking. I walked by a bead shop the other day, and it gave me an idea. That idea is, I'll get a small, old-fashioned wooden chest, bang a couple of holes in the sides, and coat it in some kind of acrylic.
Then I'll fix a platform of some kind into it, making it only about 1 3/4" deep, and put white sand on it. I'll then find some realistic 'sunken treasure' decor, maybe some gem-like stones too, coat them in acrylic, and arrange them in it so it looks like the chest just sunk. I'll then place the rockwork around it and add some more treasure around the chest.
The idea is to make it look like it just sunk there and has been there for a while. I'd place some corals on and around it, and get a few more snails so they can keep it mostly algae-free. Yes, that's possible, especially when you have a tuxedo urchin.
I was thinking that I'd also find a small pistol shrimp, put him in the chest itself, and let him burrow under the treasure. I could partner him with something little and bright, like an antennae goby.
Do you think this could work without looking fake? Any ideas? Any imput on what acrylic to use as a clearcoat?
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
My 29 Biocube saltwater setup looks halfway nice to me, but I think it needs some tweaking. I walked by a bead shop the other day, and it gave me an idea. That idea is, I'll get a small, old-fashioned wooden chest, bang a couple of holes in the sides, and coat it in some kind of acrylic.
Then I'll fix a platform of some kind into it, making it only about 1 3/4" deep, and put white sand on it. I'll then find some realistic 'sunken treasure' decor, maybe some gem-like stones too, coat them in acrylic, and arrange them in it so it looks like the chest just sunk. I'll then place the rockwork around it and add some more treasure around the chest.
The idea is to make it look like it just sunk there and has been there for a while. I'd place some corals on and around it, and get a few more snails so they can keep it mostly algae-free. Yes, that's possible, especially when you have a tuxedo urchin.
I was thinking that I'd also find a small pistol shrimp, put him in the chest itself, and let him burrow under the treasure. I could partner him with something little and bright, like an antennae goby.
Do you think this could work without looking fake? Any ideas? Any imput on what acrylic to use as a clearcoat?
I don't imagine you would have to coat the fake jewels/gems, as they would probably be plastic, glass, or crystal. I tend to like epoxy for coating things.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What brand of epoxy do you think would work best?
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't know the brands off hand. either go to a hardware store and check around the varnish/lacquer section, or go to a craft store and check around the casting/sculpting section. It should be a 2-part kit, and a lot of times it's advertised for making things like pour-on bar/table tops. A lot of times it will say something like "equal to 50 coats of varnish" or somesuch. I think some names might be something like Envirotex lite, pour-on, etc. make sure it's epoxy, stay away from any sort of fiberglass/polyester resin
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Glass needs no special treatment.. I have a ceramic frog filled with millefiori beads in one of my tanks... it's kitschy, but that was the point
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright... Anything that's painted plastic, like fake coins, I'll coat just in case... Do you lot think this would look fake?

Tags
clearcoat, goby, saltwater, treasure, treasure chest