AquaStudent's First Tank - Plans for an Upgrade (New Video Update) - Page 23
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #331
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

New Video
I'm settled in my summer housing. This video is technically a week old so I'll get another update up soon but you can see some progress.

I've also got a great surprise!

Big Surprise and Updates on All Tanks May 2012
AquaStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #332
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Updates on All Tanks! HD 'Macro' Video and Attach of the Telmatochromis Dhonti
Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #333
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Woohoo! Post #1000!!!!

Anyway I took some photos (quite a few) this weekend and just rendered them into some time lapse sequences. Let me know what you think.

The tank is looking great right now. It's just cruising right along. I'll also link my most recent video update.

Time Lapse of 10 Gallon Peaceful Community

Video Update 6-16-2012
Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #334
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile.

The tank was looking absolutely amazing up until about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what happened but everything started to die off. I'm not sure if my light isn't putting out the nutrients it used to (it's only a few months old) and I didn't change any water parameters that I know of. The fish are doing well which really is the important thing.

I ordered a Tameron 90mm lens for my camera but accidentally had it sent to my house (not college) so I won't get it for another couple weeks. When I do get it in though I'll be taking a lot of macro shots to try and get some experience in that realm. Then I should have some pictures to update for this thread (and if y'all are really nice perhaps I'll upload some of the baby cichlids) :P

There is something that's been on my mind for awhile now. I'm in my senior year of college. I'll be applying to graduate programs over the next couple of months (it's weird not knowing where i'll be or what I'll be doing a year from now).

Because I'm wrapping up my undergraduate experience and will be moving I really want to downsize my aquarium collection. Currently I have a 55g African Cichlid tank, a 29g AC growout tank (my old african cichlid tank), a 10g, a 5g, and a 2.5g. Originally I was going to sell the 29g when I bought my 55g but I picked up some smaller cichlids and need to let them grow out a bit before they are introduced. I was then thinking why not sell/donate my smaller tanks and start up a planted 29g. I would need to redo the lighting but that's not a big deal because I have been credited for $100 towards LEDGroupBuy from their contest last spring. It's a very tempting thought but on the other side of things, a 29g is much more diffucult to move than a 10g (but more epic...).

If I was to upgrade the 10g to the 29g I would love to get an angelfish pair. Would I be able to keep a community of Amazon fish (including an angelfish pair) in a 29g. Ideally it'd have the pair of angels, a schooling fish through the upper/mid part of the tank, and a school of cory cats in the lower section (or something along those lines).

It'd be awesome to make it a biotope! I'm going to read up some more on Orchidman's 29g blackwater biotope. I remember seeing some awesome stuff there.

Any thoughts, questions, coments, conversation you all want to provide would be greatly appreciated!

LINK TO MOST RECENT VIDEO JOURNAL ENTRY
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #335
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awsome video!
I was just looking for cichlid compatibility and i saw in ur tank same fish
i got 2 acei, 2 yellow lab, 2 convicts, 2 venustus and 2 pearl ciclids.. so far venustus(only one of them) been nipping the others, u think all will be fine eventually?
It seems less bad than when I first got them a week ago.
Let me know how ur fish acclimated all together!
Thankssss
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #336
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by izabella87 View Post
Awsome video!
I was just looking for cichlid compatibility and i saw in ur tank same fish
i got 2 acei, 2 yellow lab, 2 convicts, 2 venustus and 2 pearl ciclids.. so far venustus(only one of them) been nipping the others, u think all will be fine eventually?
It seems less bad than when I first got them a week ago.
Let me know how ur fish acclimated all together!
Thankssss
How large is the tank? It's better to overstock cichlid tanks to spread out aggression. You may also need to be careful of aggression between males of the same species if there happens to be a compatible female in the tank. I'm not sure how mixing SA Cichlids with African Cichlids will go. Also, aggression may aleviate over time. They are usually very aggressive when they are first put into a new environment because they are trying to establish their territories.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #337
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

It`s a 80 cm X 80 cm shallow 54 gallons tank, with 8 fish in there.
I hope there won`t be no more fighting, but it doesnt really look like fighting just nipping, n everyone look like them been nipped.
Thanks !
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #338
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

My new canister filter came in today! I haven't had the chance to open up the box and get it set up just yet. I've been working on some homework and am about to head up to soccer practice (in the rain at the top of the mountain too...). Tonight I hope to record an unboxing video and upload it.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #339
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

I had a huge epic find in my 55g cichlid tank the other day when I was about to put on my new Fluval 306.

My cichlids have bred! I now have 5 fry. I'm not sure who they belong to but my best guess at the moment is the female was the kenyii

See for yourself HERE
Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #340
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Here are the some shots of the baby cichlids using my 18-55mm lens. I should be getting my Tameron 90mm tomorrow so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get some better Macro shots.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #341
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Awesome!
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #342
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Ok so how about an actual update on the 10 gallon? The tank was doing exceptionally well at the end of the summer but has gone downhill over the past 2 months. I'm not sure what's wrong with it because my 5 gallon did exactly the opposite and they are getting the same treatment.

Anyway I got DIY c02 up and running again so that should help a bit. I'm also going to cut down on the duckweed celing (may be part of the problem).

One thought I am toying with is upgrading the 10 gallon to my 29gallon that's currently holding younger african cichlids. Once I get the younger African cichlids into the main tank I could either sell the 29g setup or upgrade one of my other setups.

I'm currently applying to graduate programs so I don't know exactly where I'll be next year but I know I won't be here. So I'm going to have to do a big move at some point. Because of that I want to cut down on the number of tanks, Ideally down to 2 by May.

If I do upgrade the 10 gallon community into the 29g I would love to get a pair of angelfish as the centerpiece fish. I've never owned angels but would love to have one.

Here's the most recent video update
on my youtube channel.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #343
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Hmm...it's been awhile since I updated. Here's some bad news though. This morning when I went to check on the 10 gallon I could not find Vesuvius the betta. Sadly, he has passed away. He's been a bit more lethargic than usual over the past few months. He was usually laying at the bottom until I walked up to look at the tank then he'd happily swim all over. I guess his old age finally caught up with him.

The neon population is somewhere around 10 right now and the only other inhabitant is Olivia the calico BN Pleco.

It's a sad day
Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #344
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Aww, I am sorry about the betta Any happy updates?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #345
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Thank you for asking.

I don't have any bad news at the moment . The tank stock has remained the same excluding the large population of pond/ramshorn snails.

I picked up a batch of hornwort that has since tanken off and am trying out some RRF. I will try and get a FTS at some point.

I'm graduating from college on Saturday then heading home for a couple months before starting grad school. It's been a crazy past few months (especially so the past few weeks) and I haven't been able to record my progress.

My plan for the future is to upgrade this tank to my 29g and build a DIY LED fixture for it. Then, I would like to get a pair/hareem of apistos and possibly a school of corydoras or Aspiradoras. I have thought about a pair of angels but they will consume the neons and a 29 is probably pushing it for angels.

I would also like to go with a canister filter for the upgraded tank. HOB are inexpensive but I picked up a Fluval 306 for my 55g African Cichlid tank and absolutely love it. I can't image how well a canister would do for a smaller setup. That is lesser on the priorities list though.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Tags
10 gallon, betta community, gravel, low tech