Nano African cichlids with plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
KevCNYC
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nano African cichlids with plants?

Whats are peopls thoughts on a 20-29 gal planted tank with these kinds of fish Altolamprologus, Callochromis, neolamprologus multifasciatus, Cynotilapis, Dwarf Julidochromis, Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher), Pelvicachromis taeniatus. Just some of the fish I was thinking about using, not all of them, havnt made up my mind yet but I have made the space in my apartment and never done smaller africans at all let alone with plants. Thoughts about the combinations? What plants to use and not use? Anyone have any issues with driftwood and seashells? Let me know
KevCNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I currently have plants with my yellow labs and yellow-tailed acei. Tangs would probably be okay with plants as well. I'm not using any driftwood but have lots of rocks. The plants are jungle vals, java fern and various anubias since these can all survive in the harder, high pH water required for African Rift Lake cichlids. There's also frogbit floating on top.

By the way, the kribensis is West African and generally requires water with a lower pH.

I'm sure you could make it work in a 20 to 29 gallon tank. If you go with a 20 long, avoid jungle vals as these grow very long and soon cover the surface. Good luck
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
ptr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

I don't think you can mix P. Pulcher and P.Taeniatus. Wouldn't they hybridize ?
In any case, if you have a pair of Kribensis, forget about any other cichlids in a 29g - they get way too aggressive while in breeding mode. Apart from that, they are quite easy to keep, and will do great with plants of any kind.

As RWaters said though, you can't mix them with lake cichlids as they have completely different water requirements.
ptr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

So I moved my pair of kribs into my 20L with other residents being some of their older krib fry and a school of big danios. The danios have been pushed to a little corner -about 1/3 of the tank while the big boy krib rules the rest of it.

Yeeeeea aggressive. They no longer have their clutch and I can see the male swimming around with the danios but theyre still very scared and hang out on one half of the tank. They dont bother plants though!
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
KevCNYC
Algae Grower

could you possible mix kribs with apistos? Or do you think mixing the two types of cichlids would be too aggressive?
KevCNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
ptr
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes they would be fine, but not in a 20-29g. You would need 36" of floor space, maybe a 30g.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
jmsaltfish797
Planted Tank Obsessed

kribs are a good choice for a planted tank but they do get pretty aggressive. Tetras and other similar fish are ok with them though. Gives the male someone to pick on besides his mate hen they're breeding.
jmsaltfish797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have Kribs in with cory's,R. espei,red iriani and spike tailed paradise fish and everyone gets along and the plants are left alone. Bolivian rams leave plants alone too and so did a group of Geo. Steindachneri that I had.
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
ptr
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're lucky. My kribs wouldn't tolerate cories
Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr View Post
You're lucky. My kribs wouldn't tolerate cories
Really..I have 7 punctatus cory's and 6 of the pygmys and they don't bother them....so far anyhow. Maybe just luck, the kribs are still on the young side and probably not in breeding mode. Hopefully all will stay this way for a while
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had several adult Pelvicachromis Pulchers (regular kribs) a couple of years ago and they constantly fought with each other. They were way more aggressive than I thought they would be. I also had a pair of Pelvicachromis Taeniatus "Kienke" (sometimes called striped kribs) and they were the exact opposite. I put them in a planted 16 gallon bowfront (was meant to be temporary) with a dozen tetras, a clown pleco, and a betta. They lived in that tank for over a year, and not only did they not mess with the other fish, they would breed nonstop. It seems like they would breed every month or two. I eventually removed the betta and tetras, but the kribs had a lot of young and I couldn't catch them all, so there were usually at least a dozen or two babies of varying ages living peacefully with the parents.

Now, that might have just been my fish. I might have gotten lucky and had a laid back pair of striped kribs. People joked that I dosed my water with drugs or something to keep everyone calm. :p
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have a 20g with 2 pair's of kribs, 3 otocinclus catfish, 3 amano shrimp, and when in breeding mode I add some of my tetras to reduce aggression. Here's some pic's.

The tank doesn't really look that yellow, my camera setting are off.
Aulonocara_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote