Is this ferts any good?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
moorin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is this ferts any good?

Apparently it is a "all in one" and looks like dry ferts but been no expert can anyone say if this will be any good for my medium to high light tank with co2?

[eBay link removed]

Thanks

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-10-2013 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Removed obfuscated eBay link
moorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I don't trust anything that combines phosphate + micros unless it contains some stabilizers. I'd pass on this one.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I would also pass on this one. While all in one mixes may seem convenient, in the long run, you will want separate chemicals in order to customize your dosing.

In addition, as mentioned, the iron in the micronutrients tends to react with phosphates, resulting in insoluble ferric phosphate.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
moorin
Algae Grower

Default Is this ferts any good?

If iron reacts with phosphate does that mean you can only dose one or the other? Could I not buy a stabiliser and add that into the mix? Thanks for the advice and is ferric phosphate harmful?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorin View Post
If iron reacts with phosphate does that mean you can only dose one or the other? Could I not buy a stabiliser and add that into the mix? Thanks for the advice and is ferric phosphate harmful?
No, you can dose both. Most people often dose micronutrients on one day, and then macronutrients on another, alternating between the two.

The concentrations at which iron and phosphate are at inside the aquarium are insufficient for insoluble iron phosphate to form. The problem arises in concentrated solutions and/or storing them in dry powder form.

I am unaware of how you could introduce a stabilizer into the mixture. Rather than doing that, it would be easier just to buy the chemicals separately, and make two bottles of solutions and/or store them separately (dry).

Ferric phosphate is not harmful, but is insoluble, and results in the nutrients being unavailable to plants.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
moorin
Algae Grower

Default Is this ferts any good?

Thanks for the info I'm still learning so even though I have already bought this it hast exactly broke the bank so I'll see what I can do with it when it arrives.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Ascorbic acid was used in a formulation to stabilize phos and iron.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I had good results using this all in 1 dry ferts.... http://selectaquatics.com/Plant%20Fertilizer.htm
But obviously what works for 1 tank may not be great for another. The price is great though and cheap enough to try it. It lasted me just over a year for a 125 & 75 gallon tank.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote