New jersey in the house - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Jersey

Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #61
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

how about a video feed for some of the meetings, i homeschool and my daughter dances (a LOT) so getting anywhere is hard... though she dances near fish stores (bonus!)

i just have 'baby' tanks as my family is not into it.

@Axelrodi202 i wish my daughter was into it... LOL
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #62
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laqu View Post
how about a video feed for some of the meetings, i homeschool and my daughter dances (a LOT) so getting anywhere is hard... though she dances near fish stores (bonus!)

i just have 'baby' tanks as my family is not into it.

@Axelrodi202 i wish my daughter was into it... LOL
An interesting idea. Back in Nov 2009 the club set up a 150 in my boss's office. (It no longer exists sadly, my boss retired and the new one did not want the tank.)

There is a report about the meeting where it was set up and one of the members secretly set up a time lapse video and compressed 8 hours into a few minutes. It is kind of comical. http://www.njagc.net/wp/meetings/november-7-2009/

The video is also here if the link does not work for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xF3s0HQVJw

There were a lot of emersed plants available at the meeting today due to the tear down of two of Ken's tanks. Some really miniature stuff. A lot of submersed ones too.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #63
lyle23
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Greetings from Bedminster here. I havent been here for long, but, wanted to drop by and introduce myself. Im new to planted tanks but have been keeping aquariums for over 20 years. I have kept stuff from piranha's to oscars, turtles, african cichlids, malawi and tanganykan (spelling), south american cichlids, and even a short delve into saltwater aspect of the hobby. Due to a power outage I lost that tanks inhabitants.
lyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #64
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Welcome lyle23!! You will find out soon that this sight is great. I work in Bedminster, but live close to the Lincoln Tunnel.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #65
jerrytheplater
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Welcome Lyle23. If you are looking for a local plant club that has real meetings at members homes, check out NJAGC. No cost to join. A lot of fun at meetings. http://www.njagc.net
Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #66
dciano
Algae Grower

Default Sharkey's

Brick, NJ here..

I do most of my shopping at Sharkey's on 88 in Point Pleasant. Mark (the owner) has the cleanest, healthiest tanks around and the best selection of fish and plants in the area.

I was able to find Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki (dwarf chain loaches) there, which are rare to find at a LFS and are great for eating up snails in smaller tanks where you can't fit clown loaches.

I'm big on rasboras and I've bought some rare ones from there like the blue axelrod -- which are beautiful (under light they sparkle). I've also seen him stock galaxy rasboras, and more recently, emerald rasboras, and neon green kubotai rasboras (all of which are uncommon and high-demand).

He stocks shrimp (I've purchased RCS, BCS, red lazurite's, orange cherry's and yellow cherry's from there for my eheim aquastyle tank which I also got from there).

Good selection of plants -- you just have to get there when he gets a shipment in as they have a high turnover there. They're always healthy looking and rarely look like they're dying like other stores. I got my flame moss, wisteria, banana plant, moss balls, anubias, and amazon swords from him.

t's a small shop so it could be easy to miss, but it's the best in the area that I've been to. I haven't seen him stock tanks larger than 20 gallons because the shop is small, but he recently did a quote for me on a 55gallon tank/cabinet/filtration/lighting package for a custom order.

Prices there are the best around. His pricing competes with online pricing and most of the time beats online pricing.

Anyway, sorry for typing so much -- I just wanted to give everyone an idea on the gems that can be found there

Someone else mentioned the Tropiquarium on 35. Place is HUGE. It has a diverse selection of plants but many looked like they were close to dead. I did get my galaxy rasboras and butterfly loaches from there, as well as some duckweed which looks awesome floating in my eheim aquastyle tank. Great saltwater selection -- but saltwater isn't my thing. I'd recommend a trip there at least once for anyone, but Sharkey's is my go-to place, just can't beat it.
dciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #67
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I will have to check out Sharkey's, where about's is it in Pt. Pleasant? I was just down there last week, went to Brave New World surf shop.
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #68
dciano
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
I will have to check out Sharkey's, where about's is it in Pt. Pleasant? I was just down there last week, went to Brave New World surf shop.
Sharkey's is on the point boro side of point pleasant right on route 88 -- about a minute drive from the bridge ave / route 88 intersection. The closest landmarks to it I can think of are Pats Pizza and Anytime Fitness.

Take route 70 into Brick > Route 88 east > Pass through the 88 / bridge ave intersection and it's a minute down the road from there on the right hand side.

Be careful not to confuse sharkey's with 88 pet world which is about 10 minutes west of sharkey's on 88. You'll pass it on your left while heading to sharkey's down 88.

I actually stopped in yesterday and bought up some of those rasboras. He had some new micro crabs for nano tanks, never seen them before. Safe for shrimp tanks. Think I'll buy a couple next weekend if they're still there.

He gets his shipments in on thursdays.
dciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #69
KenP
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Old bridge here. Raceway park.
KenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #70
elwray
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Re: New jersey in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP View Post
Old bridge here. Raceway park.
Hello neighbor.

I'm in Monroe, just a stone's throw from Englishtown.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #71
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dciano View Post
Sharkey's is on the point boro side of point pleasant right on route 88 -- about a minute drive from the bridge ave / route 88 intersection. The closest landmarks to it I can think of are Pats Pizza and Anytime Fitness.

Take route 70 into Brick > Route 88 east > Pass through the 88 / bridge ave intersection and it's a minute down the road from there on the right hand side.

Be careful not to confuse sharkey's with 88 pet world which is about 10 minutes west of sharkey's on 88. You'll pass it on your left while heading to sharkey's down 88.

I actually stopped in yesterday and bought up some of those rasboras. He had some new micro crabs for nano tanks, never seen them before. Safe for shrimp tanks. Think I'll buy a couple next weekend if they're still there.

He gets his shipments in on thursdays.

I go to Manasquan Inlet a lot, especially during the summer, I will have to drive over the bridge and check this place out!
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #72
justdrew
Algae Grower

You can find sharky's aquarium on facebook. I believe it is on 88 on thr point beach/brick border. Everything i have gotten there has thrived and his advise is right on the monwy.
justdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #73
Iotari
Algae Grower

Hey everyone, new to the fw planted scene. East Brunswick, work in toms river so I've been stopping at Tropiquarium. Gonna check out Sharkey's this week for sure. There's a real absence of a good LFS in the East Brunswick are. Stupid Petco/Petsmart putting them out of business
Iotari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #74
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lotari pets pets pets off of easton ave is opening in a couple of months on 18 in brunswick as a fish store...
gmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #75
Iotari
Algae Grower

Wow really? Thats news to me. I always knew about them off easton ave. Hows their plant and fish selection? I went a couple times back when I only did saltwater so I don't remember
Iotari is offline   Reply With Quote