filter suggestions for mini bow
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
Aside
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

filter suggestions for mini bow

I have a 2.5 gallon mini bow tank for my betta and shrimp. I'm loving the tank but I'm having issues with the filter.

I was able to baffle it with a prefilter sponge that my shrimp love grazing on. The problem I'm having is the way that the filter is set up it is directly exposed to the light. Because of this there is a ton of algae growing on the cartridge. I replaced it a week ago and it's already covered again.

I don't want to be constantly replacing it because it's expensive and it's going to mess up my cycle every time.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I'm assuming other people have this tank so have you had the same problem?

Is my best bet just changing out the filter? If so, what filter can i use that will fit in the hole in the hood.

Also, there are a ton of tannins in my tank. I don't know why t's so bad. But what filter media would help the most?
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have my betta in that same exact tank. I just run a sponge filter in it. Frequent partial water changes will keep the tannins down to a minimum. Run the sponge filter along with your existing filter for a couple weeks to allow the beneficial bacteria to colonize it. Then, remove the stock filter from the tank. Hope this helps.
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I've been using both 2.5g & 5g minibows for years, and I always switch out the filter with a Hagan Elite mini filter. It's a small internal filter that sticks to the tank wall with suction cups. The flow is adjustable in both strength and direction so it's great for a betta. I usually put it on the back wall, near a side wall and point the outflow towards the sidewall and the current is fine for a a long finned male. Or I'll point it downwards and put a plant underneath it to soften the flow a bit. It also has a venturi but I just toss that out - it's really not needed for a betta. The filter media is a single block of sponge so it never needs replacing - just rinse it out in old tank water or fresh dechlored water from time to time. It's perfectly quiet and small enough to be hidden by a plant. And altho it's rated for 3 gallons it will work fine in up to 5 gallons if it's a small bioload like a single betta. Very nice little filters for a minibow.

Petco used to sell them in their stores, but I can't find them there anymore. But they are available at alot of different sources online and they are pretty cheap.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote