Had a STS disaster
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
Contrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Had a STS disaster

So I get up this morning to a disaster in my STS 150 gallon tank. The maxi-jet 1200 that was set up in circulation mode via the suction cups fell off the side of the tank, evidently pointed down at the substrate and stirred everything up into a murky muddy mess.

So now I've drained the tank, and decided that since I get my plants tomorrow I'd dry start/emersed grow whatever I end up putting in there.

Well that caused another problem as the glass has lots of hard water film that really shows up when it's dry, so I run to Menards and get some muriatic acid, since vinegar did absolutely nothing.

The acid had some effect on the film, a great deal judging by the fog that filled the house (not fun), but the film is still quite noticeable

So now the tank's been refilled, re-emptied and just has wet safe-t-sorb in it waiting for plants tomorrow. Should I fertilize? I've got liquid ferts for aquarium, liquid for plants (orchid), osmocote, jobes spikes, granular etc... what's my best bet for dry start?
Contrl is offline   Reply With Quote