Glass Diffuser
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Dead Can Dance
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Glass Diffuser

Hiyas,

Yesterday I just got my first CO2 setup on a 8 gal tank.
I also just planted some HC, so my first challenge is to see if I can keep that alive.

I have 2 questions;

1. The glass diffuser is hissing somewhat loud. Is there anyway I can make it quieter ? (Bubble counter is about 1.5 per sec)

2. The bubbles are floating all around the tank. Is that to be expected or can I get something that creates very little/no bubbles ? I never see bubbles on some of the beautiful tank photos here.

Thanks for the help,
Dead Can Dance.
Dead Can Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Can Dance View Post
Hiyas,

Yesterday I just got my first CO2 setup on a 8 gal tank.
I also just planted some HC, so my first challenge is to see if I can keep that alive.

I have 2 questions;

1. The glass diffuser is hissing somewhat loud. Is there anyway I can make it quieter ? (Bubble counter is about 1.5 per sec)

yep, they do make noise.

2. The bubbles are floating all around the tank. Is that to be expected or can I get something that creates very little/no bubbles ? I never see bubbles on some of the beautiful tank photos here.

The only way I can think of to get rid of the micro bublbles is to have an inline reactor.

Thanks for the help,
Dead Can Dance.
answers in red above
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Strange I never heard noise from my disc diffuser, it was ADA though, so that is probably why.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Strange I never heard noise from my disc diffuser, it was ADA though, so that is probably why.
its not loud, just a light hissing sound if your close to the tank. I also have a slight hissing sound out of my inline diffuser. again a light hissing.

The glass one in my flora is pretty darn quiet, but I am running that one on a much lower pressure.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #5
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I've used a handful of glass diffusers, all cheap, and some of them hissed, and some of them didn't (at least, not loudly enough to notice).

One thing that may or may not help - I had a diffuser that allowed too-large bubbles out around the edge of it, between the disc and the glass. I put a line of superglue around the edge, and it fixed the issue - all CO2 was pushed up through the middle, making a finer mist. I don't know if this would solve your (different) problem, but in the absence of any other potential solutions, I'd definitely try it if the sound was annoying - basic glass diffusers are dirt cheap.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
Dead Can Dance
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. I might just leave it for a while and try some of the suggestions if it really starts to bother me.

Is it possible the bubble counter has any affect ?
I used a glass bubble counter and it had a leak but I never noticed any hissing from the diffuser.
I bought a small plastic counter and now the diffuser is hissing.

I guess it might have been that the first counter wasn't pushing all the air down to the diffuser.
Dead Can Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #7
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Mine has a quiet but high pitched hiss to it as well. No one in my house but me hears it though O.o

It will produce visible bubbles, which I think is fine because if you set up your flow the right way, those bubbles can end up under your plant leafs, making the co2 go directly to your plant.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
RoyalFizbin
Planted Member

I have two glass diffusers and one of them makes no noise and the other makes what i would describe as a constant chirping sound. The noise will never go away, there is nothing you can do about it except to buy a new one and hope for the best. I also have two up-aqua simple atomizers and it's the same story, one makes a sound and the other dosn't. The simple atomizer from up-aqua is essentially the same thing as a glass diffuser.
RoyalFizbin is offline   Reply With Quote