HELP!!! My Java Fern is dying off!!! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
wetworks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I read recently that when leaves on a java fern turn black/brown and die off, it is a sign of a new growth cycle beginning for the plant. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

I read something similar, where leaves will turn brown when creating new growth. Usually when creating new leaves off the rhizome.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #18
wetworks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

The article I read (plus some info from a book) stated that once the adventitious plantlets are large enough, the leaf they are on will die off. I did not know it also would do this for new leaves sprouting fromt he rhizome.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetworks View Post
I read recently that when leaves on a java fern turn black/brown and die off, it is a sign of a new growth cycle beginning for the plant. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I can confirm this to the extent of my personal experience.

I experienced basically what you described shortly after placing a healthy specimen of java fern into my tank. After about 2 weeks it started what you've described. I was worried about it for a while but since there were so many of the plantlets that looked very healthy I just let it go. Eventually the "mother" plant started to regrow and I had "fernlets" growing everywhere.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)

Mine kinda looked like that a couple weeks after getting it. I cut off all the large leaves, left the new growth and now it is growing nicely.
ucantimagine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #21
Arv
Planted Member

when this happens to my javas they affect the host plant and plantlets. I've also done a lot of research and some say its a fert deficiency or excess of one or more macro or micro, low KG, low Mg, high temp, high light, co2, excel, salts,or even a virus or disease but nobody seems to be sure. in my case it first happened when I raised the temp and added salt to treat ich. However it still happens at 76-77F. One thing that's true is that the rhizome will sprout new growth after you trim off all the dead stuff. I definitely know its not high light since the ones that are really close to the top of the tank that receive the most light have not been affected (using 2xt5ho). I suspect that a melting leaf might "transmit" the melting to another leaf so cut off the dying leaf asap.

I really hope somebody comes up with a definte answer since there seems to be a lot of peeps affected by this.
Arv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 AM   #22
livebearer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

i recently added salt to my tank too to head off a bout of ich i seen coming a mile away, and now both my narrow leaf and my other java fern have some blacken edges and some black holes which i call it (burns) from the salt, but its still throwing off babies from the rizome thats are healthy and not (burnt) i think its some kinda adjustment to the change in your water. i dont know alot about aquarium plants but i know in house plants when a leaf is yellowing or dying remove it right away becuse the plant is wasting energy and nutrients trying to keep it alive, once you remove all the dead or close to dead leaves you willsee a boom in new leaves on the rizome. just my two cents
livebearer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #23
livebearer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

oh yea i forgot to mention i have 2 mellon swords and some other green sword and they are doing just fine no other plant wass affected by the chemical change in my tank but the javas,
livebearer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #24
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearer View Post
oh yea i forgot to mention i have 2 mellon swords and some other green sword and they are doing just fine no other plant wass affected by the chemical change in my tank but the javas,
you may be right about changes causing the melt. I probably should keep a log of some sort so I can go back and analyze things. I always think I can remember so I never write anything down.

As for the other plants, the swords and anubais seem to be ok, but at one time when I upped the lighting and CO2 (= change) that is when some of the java melted (not the ones closest to the light and directly in front of the canister CO2 output) and some of the blades of DHG clumps kinda rotted closer to the stalks which I thought was caused by the diatom hair algae suffocating them.
Arv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had the same problem, it was caused by a nitrate deficiency, so I treated it with flourish aquavitro synthesis. My tank was literally too clean...
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #26
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've noticed older leaves on Java Ferns tend to have this browning problem where they get brown patches or form little holes and slowly become "skeletons" and whatnot (and this is NOT due to a K deficiency). I just let it go, as it seems to happen to most people, and eventually old leaves will fall off, and I just let them float in my tank until they eventually sink and turn into leaf litter for my shrimp. Usually the leaves stay green and float for like 2 weeks at least, and during that time, several little plantlets will grow off it even though the leaf is unattached to any rhizome or roots.

I have all these little plantlets right now that I don't know what to do with. I'm considering setting up a Zapins style emersed set-up for them to grow up, and maybe attaching some to driftwood -- either now, or in the future.
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.