Some questions about FugeRay
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Some questions about FugeRay

I own 2 FugeRays and 1 Ray2. My one FugeRay is 12" and awesome, grows HC and DHG, it's about 12" above substrate but with open top. It works great! My 48" FugeRay on my 75 gallon is nice but doesn't seem to grow many plants. My crypts are growing alright, anubias is too. But my swords will not grow like they used to with just even a T8 on top. The leaves stay only 7 inches high and doesn't grow very big. My ozelot sword makes leaves only 4 inches high. Many stems seem to not do to well either. Alternanthera wound up dying and other plants just never grew very tall. My java fern as well even seems to stay on the small side. The light should definitely be enough to grow these types of plants from the PAR readings it gives. I mean the fugeray at 12" is enough to grow HC pretty lush and a dense carpet. Is there something wrong here with the light? The old T8 or two seemed to have better results. Could it be the glass top really cutting down on the light that much? The glass is pretty clean and clear. If it's not the glass top, then what else could it be?

Second question would be with the FugeRay again. If I had to use the glass top, would it be okay for the fugeray to see on top of the glass without the legs to get the light closer or would that cause any issues like over heating?
Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
PRSRocker3390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Glass tops reduce a lot of light so that doesn't help your situation and the 75 is a lot taller as well so between the two that seems like it'd explain things.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
cclaeys
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

i have noticed the same thing, I have 3 fugerays and the 2 20" are on 14" tall tanks and are really bright and vibrant, I have a 30" on a 20L and it is really weak
cclaeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I had similar issues with my Ray 2 not being enough. i removed my glass tops and then noticed a nasty bio film on the surface. I added a Toms skimmer to the intake and that combined with the glass tops removed helped a lot. I'm seeing much better growth and brightness from my Ray 2!
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

I wonder if it is something odd with the LEDs not being able to penetrate well through a glass top. I'm kinda worried about having an open top though for my 75, I don't want to lose any of my fish that sometimes get a little jumpy. I need to find some sort of work around. I don't know but I really just want the plants to start growing like my other tanks with FugeRay fixtures.
Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
PRSRocker3390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

The PAR data for the 48" Fuge Ray at 18" is 48. That's just enough light to be considered medium light, but likely more low light. Then factor in that data being recorded in open air, the diffusion of your glass top and the clarity of your water and you're likely looking at a lot less than 48 at your substrate.