180P build - Page 27
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #391
Pugman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Yes it is because of the lower iron content makes it "softer".

Pugman- How did you like the Fluval plant stratum, I forgot to ask?
Any ammonia leach or crumbling over time?
I ended up ditching it not because there was issues. I couldn't tell the difference between Amano soil or Fluval. I had used Red Seas soil for 6 years with no issues. It does break done a little but I never thought that was a bad thing. People are successful with potting soil so.......

I use black lava rock so the moss is held down better.
Pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #392
Pugman
Algae Grower

I wonder if the low iron glass is really softer or if it just a rumor. I had heard that before but how would anyone really know? Most folks just regurgitate what someone else said. And how much softer would it actually be. Where could you find that kind of information.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #393
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
I wonder if the low iron glass is really softer or if it just a rumor. I had heard that before but how would anyone really know? Most folks just regurgitate what someone else said. And how much softer would it actually be. Where could you find that kind of information.
I'm having a Rimless Starphire tank being built by Miracles and never thought of that, but it can't be nowhere near Acrylic. I had that for a while and it sucks overtime with the scratching.

At least know I know so i'll be careful. Pug I guess you should be too just to be on the safe side.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #394
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Take a piece of regular glass and run it across a piece of starphire, or vice versa. Good ol' scratch test.

I have a little bit of anecdotal evidence for you though. I collected a bunch of wave smoothed sandstone once thatwas full of red swirls and thus contained large amounts of iron. It never scratched the glass in my tanks(regular glass). Im not geologist or chemist for that matter, but I dare say that iron content has little if anything to do with the hardness of quartz.

You could try a test with two types of sandstone I suppose, one containing high iron like a red sandstone and one that is low in iron. Just my two cents but really wouldnt worry about it.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #395
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

Pugman, i just wanted to say that your original scape in this tank was one of my all time favorite scapes....EVER!!!

So i have HUGE expectations for this new one....Dont let me down

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #396
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

http://chemistry.boisestate.edu/peop...ng_history.htm

Some cool info in there.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #397
Pugman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
I'm having a Rimless Starphire tank being built by Miracles and never thought of that, but it can't be nowhere near Acrylic. I had that for a while and it sucks overtime with the scratching.

At least know I know so i'll be careful. Pug I guess you should be too just to be on the safe side.
Since I've discovered the two scratches I'm super carful and there are no new ones. I thought I was being carful in the beginning but apparently not. Like Plantbrain said " no metal and up and down strokes only".
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #398
Pugman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Take a piece of regular glass and run it across a piece of starphire, or vice versa. Good ol' scratch test.

I have a little bit of anecdotal evidence for you though. I collected a bunch of wave smoothed sandstone once thatwas full of red swirls and thus contained large amounts of iron. It never scratched the glass in my tanks(regular glass). Im not geologist or chemist for that matter, but I dare say that iron content has little if anything to do with the hardness of quartz.

You could try a test with two types of sandstone I suppose, one containing high iron like a red sandstone and one that is low in iron. Just my two cents but really wouldnt worry about it.
I'm not too worried about it now with my super paranoid algae cleaning technics now. If I ever run across a spare piece of low iron glass ill try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
Pugman, i just wanted to say that your original scape in this tank was one of my all time favorite scapes....EVER!!!

So i have HUGE expectations for this new one....Dont let me down
thank you, that's quite the compliment. It's really the same scape I just replaced the baby tears with Mini Pellia. The Mini Pellia looks more like a grassy field close up. It's a ton less work too. In the end Ill have a supply of mosses that are in need of this hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
That's an interesting read. Still no real definitive answer.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #399
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
I ended up ditching it not because there was issues. I couldn't tell the difference between Amano soil or Fluval. I had used Red Seas soil for 6 years with no issues. It does break done a little but I never thought that was a bad thing. People are successful with potting soil so.......

I use black lava rock so the moss is held down better.
oh so you switched to red sea soil?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #400
Pugman
Algae Grower

Quote:
oh so you switched to red sea soil?
No I "have" used Red Sea before in a different tank. I am now using black lava as a substrate in this tank. I only replaced the soil with lava so the moss would have something to grip on to.

Last edited by Pugman; 02-10-2013 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #401
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I see.

I did a little research and found a source claiming LIG is hardness about 480 and regular glass is 580. Still not sure where that person got those numbers or what scale they are using.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #402
Pugman
Algae Grower

Quote:
I see.

I did a little research and found a source claiming LIG is hardness about 480 and regular glass is 580. Still not sure where that person got those numbers or what scale they are using.
Ya who's the source, and what do those numbers mean? It sure dose sound like its true but nobody has any kind of reputable source. Im just more curious at this point. People have asked me before about that and I like to give them a real answer.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #403
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Default 180P build

Quote:
Isn't the MP40 a bit much, why didn't go with an MP20?

Is that 3/4in glass?
Pug why did you go with an MP40 and not 2 MP10's instead? I see other members go that route, i.e., single MP40. I would think 2 would allow for better flow control. What are your thoughts on this now that you've got the bigger, did it accomplish what you were missing? Would you have done 2 MP10's instead if you could do it again?

from my iP 5 via Tapa.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #404
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Re: 180P build

Quote:
Pug why did you go with an MP40 and not 2 MP10's instead? I see other members go that route, i.e., single MP40. I would think 2 would allow for better flow control. What are your thoughts on this now that you've got the bigger, did it accomplish what you were missing? Would you have done 2 MP10's instead if you could do it again?

from my iP 5 via Tapa.
The glass is to thick for 10s

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #405
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

I wish the mp10's could handle 3/4" thick glass, I'd prefer several of those vs 1 big mp40, the mp10's barely, and I mean barely hold on to 1/2" thick glass, 10mm or less is best.
And the mp40's just barely hang onto the 3/4" glass tanks, I add a little extra sticky to the glass to keep them from falling off.

Not as bad as the mp10's on 1/2" glass though.