Are these rocks safe for a planted tank? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #16
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
The bands indicate metamorphism

Probably safe.
Yes I agree
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #17
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
I'm always really skeptical about stones like these, I hear too many stories about water chemistry disasters after trying out rocks that weren't necessarily meant for aquariums.

Boiling or pouring hot water will only sterlize or kill the germs, but this will not change the ability of the stone to slowly release sediments or elements over time that might change the water chemistry.
It's fine to be sceptical, but the vast majority of rock won't alter the water at all. Usually it's pretty easy to tell if they will even without trying them out in a tank.

You're pretty safe as long a you aren't using limestone and some sandstone etc. You can even use these depending on your fish etc.

Linds
Old 02-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #18
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I'm pretty sure loch is right. It's a type of gneiss. Granite doesn't have a glittery type surface like that.
Actually it can. depends on how much mica it has in it. Mica is the glittery part in granite.

Quote:
Anyway, not to hijack, but what do you all think these rocks are? I'm most interested in the BROWN rusty rock. The person I got that one from was a aquascaper.
I'm not sure what you call it but it looks very similar to a rock we quarry on my property. Can't help you with a name but it looks rich in iron. Same with the red soil here.

Some of them (the flat ones) look a lot like slate.

Quote:
First row of rocks matches the OP's.
Linds
Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Love the rocks on the top row, and the second starting at the left those 2 pics look like slate that I have. The bottom row looks like petrified wood, I could be wrong but I bought some of those last year. I agree with the vinegar test. And also any rocks I find I boil. I'm always finding nice rocks when I'm out on LI. They do look nice in your tank
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #20
reddhawkk
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

philemon716, your rocks look to be granite schist. I am not sure if they will change your ph but they do look good.
RAOK Club #55
reddhawkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
philemon716
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Thank you all. My dog thinks I am crazy b/c I always make her stand by the dumpster (bottom left of image) for a few minutes while I gaze at the hundreds of pounds of rock at my disposal (now covered in nemo snow). This is the second dumpster. The first one was longer and higher and full of rock.

I'll be boiling these for 5-10 minutes and then performing the vinegar test in the next few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130209_092705.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	83954  

Last edited by philemon716; 02-09-2013 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: adding photo
philemon716 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Where is this? Upper westside? I wonder where they (whoever threw them into the dumpster) found these stones from...
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Those stones you found would also make a nice border around a garden if you decide they're not "Aquarium worthy"

Thanks everyone for the guesses.

I do agree with the slate. I've just never seen "multicolored" slate before. I think it was previously used in a tank with cichlids, the rock pictured in the last row I always thought looked like some sort of tree stump. It would be very cool if it does contain IRON or is petrified wood.
  • No one has any idea on the lavender colored stone?

philemon716, you have a good eye. Those stones granite/gneiss have nice rings/layers. Whoever tossed them in the dumpster probably found them laying around in the basement. I think those stones are sometimes mixed in fieldstone foundations.

I think your dog is more scared of you possibly leaving her in the dumpster. That's why she's giving you "freaked out" looks.

I have to go finish shoveling. We easily got 2x the amount of snow you guys received.
  • BTW, what is the rule to prevent kitchen xplosions when it comes to BOILING??
  • I would also give your rocks a good scrubbing with some baking soda & those hand iron type brushes.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #24
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

The vinegar test can be useful, but a lot of rocks/minerals that will affect hardness won't react to it. If something does fizz, you can be certain it will affect your water chemistry, but no reaction doesn't necessarily mean it's safe/inert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
philemon716, your rocks look to be granite schist. I am not sure if they will change your ph but they do look good.
I wasn't paying attention to the sparklies, so schist might be more accurate, it's been a while since I've done anything remotely geologic (and I was never good at the mineral ID to begin with...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
  • BTW, what is the rule to prevent kitchen xplosions when it comes to BOILING??
I'm not sure that boiling is really necessary, I doubt that there is much risk of pathogens. Then again, it might be useful to remove any potential residues that may have accumulated on the rock wherever/whatever it was doing before.

I don't think there is any serious risk of explosion from boiling a rock. At most I can see cracking from thermal expansion.

Best I can figure, this started as a general warning about baking rocks (similar to being careful what you put around a campfire) as some rocks (typically sedimentary) can absorb water, and when heated rapidly, this can convert to steam and fracture the rock violently. I think I seen a lot of similar concerns/warnings over at Dendroboards, so I think it was just an initial precaution that got exaggerated with each retelling.

If I had a good reason to boil a rock, I wouldn't even hesitate, just find a pot big enough, and fill it with water, and fire up the stove.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #25
philemon716
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
Where is this? Upper westside? I wonder where they (whoever threw them into the dumpster) found these stones from...
Chelsea. They are renovating a historic restaurant / hotel on 23rd street, whose back door is on 22nd street - where the dumpster is found. There are LOTS of it.

Size ranges from small to as large as one man can carry (through the hotel to the back).

Last edited by philemon716; 02-10-2013 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: removing address
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #26
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wow, great find, I NEED to hit this up! I hope it's still there tomorrow. Or maybe I'll try and hit it up late tonight. I've got plans till 7:00 though and this is about 45 minutes away from me, and it's probably full of snow still

If anybody is passing by this today and could provide a status update, that would be greatly appreciated!
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #27
philemon716
Planted Member

Still there. Covered in snow...and now a few blue bags of dog poop.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #28
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

huh, maybe they are excavating inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan#Geography

Sounds like it might be what you found.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #29
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I don't think there is any serious risk of explosion from boiling a rock. At most I can see cracking from thermal expansion.

If I had a good reason to boil a rock, I wouldn't even hesitate, just find a pot big enough, and fill it with water, and fire up the stove.
There are some rocks that are dangerous. Rocks like lava rock can have air trapped inside that can explode when boiled. I agree that the warning has been exaggerated, as most rocks are safe to boil, but there are a few that aren't.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
philemon716
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Mix View Post
Wow, great find, I NEED to hit this up! I hope it's still there tomorrow. Or maybe I'll try and hit it up late tonight. I've got plans till 7:00 though and this is about 45 minutes away from me, and it's probably full of snow still

If anybody is passing by this today and could provide a status update, that would be greatly appreciated!
They towed the dump away this morning as I was walking to work. Looks like they are replacing it with another though.