The big tank...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Adri.
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The big tank...

Hi guys!! I've been so busy with school, homework, foster dogs, etc. lately that I haven't been able to do anything on my tanks. However, I'm finally all caught up on school work, so I'm back in the game now. Long story short, I want to tear down my 3 small tanks and go with one big one. However in one of my smaller tanks, I have 8 Angels that I really don't want to get rid of...At least, not all of them. We originally got them to see if we could get a pair to form, but it hasn't happened quite yet.

Do you guys think they could be kept in my 100?

My 100 gallon currently has:
6 Eartheaters (5 G. Altifrons & 1 S. Jurupari)
2 Delhezi Bichirs(will be sold if they cause problems with other fish when they get bigger. So far so good.)
A small school of Odessa Barbs
A few livebearers
A Chocolate Pleco(will most likely be sold once he's bigger)
1 German Blue Ram
1 Red Tail Black Shark

I do 50% water changes every week, and the filtration is a beastly fx5 with 6 boxes of Biomax in it.
The Eartheaters, even though they're big, don't hurt anyone. When I added the Ram, she chased them around the tank, just to make sure they knew who was boss...I added some feeders once, the size of week old Molly fry, and the Eartheaters went and hid. They are THAT wimpy.
Do you guys think the Angels could be kept in that tank? Would they pair up, and if they did pair, would I need to remove the other 6 after a pair forms?
I could just use some advice on this Thanks guys!
Adri. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Jurupari are for the most part a docile cichlid, so no issue with them. I am not familiar with the social behavior of Delhezi Bichirs. I think the only fish that could potentially cause issue is the Red tailed shark. They can become agressive and nippy. He may stress the angels. I'm sure they have been kept together since both species are very popular aquarium fish, so maybe someone with first hand experience can chime in.

The tank is large enough that you should be able to keep a couple of pairs of angles without too much issue. Maybe all 8 can coexist without issue. Time will tell.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Adri.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
Jurupari are for the most part a docile cichlid, so no issue with them. I am not familiar with the social behavior of Delhezi Bichirs. I think the only fish that could potentially cause issue is the Red tailed shark. They can become agressive and nippy. He may stress the angels. I'm sure they have been kept together since both species are very popular aquarium fish, so maybe someone with first hand experience can chime in.

The tank is large enough that you should be able to keep a couple of pairs of angles without too much issue. Maybe all 8 can coexist without issue. Time will tell.
Oh yes, the shark is a very mean little thing!!! However she has calmed down lately, and besides the initial showing-them-who's-boss routine, she leaves newcomers alone. The only fish she is concerned with beating up, are the Eartheaters, and that's usually just during feeding time.
The Delhezi's mostly just hang out in the plants during the day, and do all their exploring at night. The large one did eat 1 Platy, but has never touched any other fish...Not sure why he decided to eat just the one...Anyways, Angels are way bigger than Platys!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
Adri.
Planted Member

bump
Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I won't comment on compatibility issues since I do not have experience with most of your fish, but I will say something about bioload. Your water changes and filtration are top notch, but it seems to me that you will have too many big fish in 100g sooner or later. I know people get away with this on a regular basis, but if disease starts (and I think crowding can be a facilitator), it can be very difficult to control in this kind of situation. I once had this problem and vowed to never tempt those gods again.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.