Which type of Snails is most beneficial for a shrimp tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Which type of Snails is most beneficial for a shrimp tank?

After researching about many kind of snail, I only have 3 options: Malaysian Trumpet, Assassin, and Nerite Snails.

All my shrimp tank are heavily planted. Shrimps only tank. Shrimps: Tiger, CRS, Yellow, Fire Painted Red Cherry.

I want a type of snails that benefit by eating shrimp waste, dead plants and maybe go after the tiny white worm by digging soil. So what are my choices? Given that Assassin will eat MTS.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think the best two choices would be mts and ramshorn snails. Gouramis snack on the little white worms quite readily, if you can rehome shrimp for a while the fish can reduce numbers... Not much kills nematodes without touching something else... I spot treated some worms with h2o2... That's fun.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have two large-ish striped nerites in my 2.5G fluval spec with RCS. They keep the tank clear and looking nice, though they like to hog the shrimp's food.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

I like trumpets because you don't really see them during the day, but you get all the benefits of them digging through the substrate and eating waster because they're active at night.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I've got a metric ton of very small ramshorns and a handful of horned nerites in the 20 with my shrimp. I'd say they're beneficial to the entire tank just because of volume work. I'd rather have a ton of very small snails than just a few large ones. Granted, they'll grow larger over time.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (372/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesAqua View Post
I like trumpets because you don't really see them during the day, but you get all the benefits of them digging through the substrate and eating waster because they're active at night.
In the case one uses ADA soil, would all the digging prove to be beneficial or detrimental to the shrimp tank?

I used to not like Ramshorn because I don't know how to control their population. Now that I do I love them. They are in all my shrimp tanks

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

12G Mr. Aqua Journal - My 1st Iwagumi Rimless
17G Mr. Aqua Journal - My Shrimp Tank
RAOK Club #35 Sharing IS Caring
MsNemoShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
In the case one uses ADA soil, would all the digging prove to be beneficial or detrimental to the shrimp tank?

I used to not like Ramshorn because I don't know how to control their population. Now that I do I love them. They are in all my shrimp tanks
From what I hear, digging is only useful in gravel and not our typical shrimp substrates.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
shift
Wannabe Guru

Nerites are excellent glass cleaners!
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
triscene
Algae Grower

Default Re: Which type of Snails is most beneficial for a shrimp tank?

I heard lately that there is one snail which eats planaria, not able to think of the name but it was also good looking.

Odoslané z R800i cez Tapatalk 2
triscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
stevencaller
Algae Grower

It has been known for assassin snails to eat shrimp when kept together, although probably very rare. I would suggest the nerite snails as they wont breed too quickly ~(not at all in freshwater), they don't harm shrimp and they look rather pleasant.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscene View Post
I heard lately that there is one snail which eats planaria, not able to think of the name but it was also good looking.

Asolene spixi is what you're thinking of. Unfortunately they are illegal to ship across state lines here in the states. You may have better luck where you're at

I have MTS, ramshorns, and nerites in all my tanks. Two tanks have buffering substrate one doesn't and my MTS do a good job on all. Ramshorns just breed a bit out of control for my tastes but I just pull a bunch out when they congregate on feeds. I LOVE my nerites...just don't think you can get a better cleaner for the walls of a tank. My rams are better wood cleaners with driftwood and cholla logs, nerites win in the glass cleaning department.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscene View Post

I have heard of Lymnaea stagnalis eating hydra.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool thanks guy for all the information. I think I'll go with Nerite because they're beautiful to look at. I hate ramshorn breed like crazy and leaving eggs on my plants everywhere, what an ugly sight to see.

Also Asolene Spixi and Nerite looks similar can I possibly keep those two together? One to clean glass other to eat planaria.

And yes I hear case of Assassin snail eating shrimp, I won't be keeping them, at least not with my expensive shrimps.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Good luck finding the spixi snails. I've been looking for over a year. Mordalphus (I think) has commented they don't do much, I've just read about the planaria control on the internet so no real experience. Also, nerites will lay eggs all over the place too, so don't think egg problems are just with ramshorns They don't bother me but they do seem to bother some folks. Fortunately for me the only female nerites I have are in a tank with white sand so they aren't as unsightly. I keep my males in the tanks with my darker substrate.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
infamouz23
Planted Tank Explorer

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: Which type of Snails is most beneficial for a shrimp tank?

I keep several horned nerites, ramshorn, Malaysian trumpet snail and an assassin snail in one shrimp tank. The assassin hasn't bothered any nerites or shrimp. There are several empty ramshorn and mts shells littered around the tank.