New member here, first post questions.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
totaldoughnut

PTrader: (0/0%)

New member here, first post questions.

Hello, just found these forums the other day while doing research for my tank and looks like a good place to be. I am setting up my tank again for the first time in 5 years. Did not have room for it at the last place I was at. Just bought a house recently and have the pefect wall in the living to get my 55gl back up and running. Ive been scrambling to regain some lost knowledge haha. Ive had a few live plants before with diy co2 and four flourescent tubes. I want to go heavily planted this time around and trying to get it setup properly. I may have to stick with diy co2 until I can afford to get into a pressurized system. My setup right now is 55g tank with birch stand and canopy. Emperor 400 filter, 200w heater, and cheapo gravel substrate. Wanted to get flourite, but couldnt spend the $20 per bag at this time. The tank is up and running and ive started cycling it with three small giant danio's. No lights yet, still researching that part and that what my current question is. I used to always run just cheap flourescent shop lamps with two to four aquarium/plant tubes for Osh. Ive been looking into led fixtures and really like the Marineland double bright 48" led light I found on Amazon. Lower power consumption, lower heat, and not replacing tubes sounds great. Would this be enough light for a planted tank? Any other advise is greatly appreciated. Plan is to have alot of plants, tetras, and lots of shrimp. Is there anyhting I can add to my cheap gravel substrate to help it out? Was thinking of maybe picking up one bag of flourite and dumping it on top of the gravel. Needs to be a little deeper still anyways. Thanks.
totaldoughnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
J.mccollum
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

welcome. I'm still kinda new also but a lot of guys use dirtlike (organic miracle grow-someone correct me if im wrong) here and cap it with flourite. Def a cheaper way to go. I have never done it but I might try it on my next tank.

Also, heads up- you might get a lot of crap cycling a tank with fish. most people use fish food or pure ammonia(got my from ace hardware).
J.mccollum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

A good substrate is important for a heavily planted tank. I would recommend draining it and going with organic soil capped with black diamond blasting sand or pool filter sand. Also, suggest you check out some of Dustins videos on dirted tanks on youtube.

If you dont want to run pressurized CO2 be careful to not put too much ight on your tank. Otherwise you'll grow a mess of algae. A single T5HO bulb or a Dual Coralife T5NO strip light for $49 will work great. I had this coralife on my 55 until i went high tech with high light and pressurized CO2. A link to the coralife fixture is below. It produces a nice light and keeps you safely in the low light/ low tech zone. Plus its a nice looking low profile light.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/freshwat...&category=2789

Dont forget to feed your plants with something like Seachem Flourish and dose some liquid carbon with Seachem Excel.

When its time to buy plants, ive had good luck with www.aquariumplants.com.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
totaldoughnut

Oh wow, never thought of cycling the tank without a few fish. Makes alot of sense though. If I let the tank finish the biological cycle then drain it it may be ok hopefully. The emperor 400 has two bio wheels and two fillable cartridges behind each filter pad. I filled both of those cartridges with bio media instead of carbon. But to be honest now that I look at my tank the gravel is only about 2" deep, thinking I need atleast another inch. Flourite on top no good? Also, still wondering if that led light I mentioned will be good. Thanks. Loving this forum, so much good info to read up on.
totaldoughnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Grimnokk
Algae Grower

Ok. Keep in mind that I am relativity new to a planted tank as well. However to try and answer some of your questions.

Flourite on top of your gravel is not going to help. The problem is that the gravel is coarse and does not hold nutrients for the plant roots. You really need to look for something else as a base and then cap with something else.

As a suggestion, look into using some Mirical Grow Organic Potting mix and then cap that with black diamond blasting sand which can be found at tractor supply for $8 for a 50lb bag in my area. Here's a link to it as well.

Now as far as you light that you were asking about, if you look here, it says it would provide low light for most tanks.

Hope this helps.
Grimnokk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Miira
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Gravel isn't ideal, but my first tank had rather large gravel and the plants thrived. Granted, I never attempted a carpet in that tank.
Miira is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #7
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Re: New member here, first post questions.

You might want to take a look at a couple of these ideas:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=153195

Also search on "black diamond" for substrate.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

I started with soil capped with sand, but i'm the type that likes to move my plants around and pulling plants out (especially ones with lots of roots) gets really messy, so i took apart my dirted tank and went with some fluorite substrate.

Tho, the good thing with walstad method is that you don't need to cycle your tank first, because it automatic cycles on its own.
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.