Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 26
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #376
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Devin--Yes, the bulbs have perked things up very nicely, and I'm really enjoying this set up in a new way now! It's almost like having my last set up with the high intensity lighting. I'm getting my Ludwigia grandulosa x palustris to blush and start turning red. I'll try to grab a pic of it soon. Pretty cool!

Like I said on a different thread, I alternate between being curious to try submitting this tank to a magazine, and then feeling a little embarrassed about it. I like the compliments, but I'm not very good at accepting them. I'm a little better than I used to be, but still not great. I'm not even sure where I would even start....This isn't an ADA tank, and that's about the only magazine that I know. You were recently published, Devin, if I remember correctly......I read that article, and I think that I still have it on my iPad still....

I would appreciate the guidance!

And...."YES"!! That Spanish Moss grows quickly! I just usually wrap some of the hanging parts around the branch it's on a few times. I may have to start trimming it. Some of it dangles down into the water as well, which looks neat.

NC!! I love the fog....especially now! After manually watering the plants every day, the new lights do add some additional radiant heat, increasing the evaporation rate, so by the end of the day it just looks like a thick haze hanging over the top of the tank, and a thick fog on top of the water. You can watch the convection happen as the fog comes out, gets a little warm, and starts rising up towards the lighting. NEAT!!

Thanks Bob!! I'm loving the effect, and the new colors! New leaves on most of my buce's are turning red or coppery colored. I am also getting better colors now in some of my Tillandsia species, and one just started throwing out a bloom. Curiously, I have yet to see ANY of my orchids bloom, but that's alright. I started fertilizing a bit more, so that should help (eventually) produce some blooms. You know that I'll be snapping pictures as soon as I get any new flowers on anything!

NWA--I have to admit that I found myself thinking that too, this past weekend. I couldn't get it out of my head for a solid day. Now, it'll be in my head again. lol! Thanks man!! Hope that you are doing well!!

my orchids flower the most when lighting is reduced.. just FYI
but there are many species out there. this isn't a true statement for all variants i wouldn't think

Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #377
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

NWA--LOL!! That's hilarious! I used to watch my buddy play Resident Evil 2 and Shadow Man back in the day, and he would get frightened playing those games. It was hilarious!! Some of the best times I had were staying in on the weekends drinking and watching that dude play his video games, and waiting for him to get scared. TOO FUNNY!!!

Bob---I don't even know. E. Porax, Epidendrum, tolumnia sylvestris....I think that's it. Getting a few others hopefully next week. They're all growing fine....just no flowers yet. Any ideas?

Obakemono.....I wouldn't say "weather patterns." It's just the latent heat from the lights warming everything below causing the water vapor to rise slightly. Just a touch of convection is all. Still looks neat, though. A slight microclimate maybe.

HD! Thanks for commenting and for the compliment man! I have UVL Red Sun, Fiji Purple, and Giesemann Lagoon Blue in each fixture. The other bulbs are Giesemann Midday's and AquaFlora's. It does make for a nice colorful tank with all of those combinations.

Odd, about the orchids....I have all the varieties in both high light and lower light conditions. None have given me any flowers yet. Oh well....then again, I've only had them for three months or so. I'll give them a little more time.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #378
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

i never read what the orchids are supported in, or what substrate u have them in.. this may play a factor

ati purple plus is a killer bulb,, another good purple/red bulb is the wavepoint red.. excellent color there
u also might try ge startcoats for white, they have less green in them and appear more "white"
Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #379
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

HD.....they are simply on LFS and leaf litter from the aquarium. They seem to like it....they are growing well, just not flowering yet. I will keep what you say in mind, though. It will be difficult to plant them on or in anything else except EpiWeb or Hygrolon. No good way to stick a pot into the setup, as you could imagine.

I'll keep the Starcoats in mind....I've heard good things about those bulbs, but it is SO incredibly hard to rationalize a move away from Giesemann's. Way too hard! Lol!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #380
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

they like bark. its odd, but they are parasitic plants, they like to attach to wood.
the aerial roots generally like 70 degree temperatures. bulbs will make that harder to attain.. but also don't be too gentle with the plant. its actually quite hardy and is use to rough winds and handling. being too gentle can cause negative side effects as well

the starcoats wont dissapoint. that's for sure
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #381
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Does anyone else have Ludwigia grandulosa x palustris?? It's the one in the center of the picture. I've been able to get some nice red coloration after a week of the new lighting. Not the greatest picture, but it's the best I could do for a quick shot.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #382
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

You have to look up the blooming seasons and care requirements for each individual orchid species. They vary. Some kinds of orchids can bloom any time of the year, but most only bloom during a certain period once or twice per year. Most of the seasonal orchids also require a (usually) wintertime rest with reduced watering, cooler temps and no ferts. Many orchids also grow and flower best with cooler nighttime and warmer daytime temperatures. Fluorescent lighting is useful for this effect because the extra infrared coming from the lit-up bulbs can usually raise temps around the plants by a few degrees.

Relative humidity requirements are another important variable. Some kinds of orchids can live well in normal (as low as 30%) household humidity levels, while others require very humid air all the time or they will perish. Increased humidity is generally helpful for most kinds of orchids. Even for those species that require drying around their roots (as for a dry winter rest) it is often beneficial to have extra humidity in the air.

There are are only a few kinds of parasitic orchids and I think that all of them are terrestrial (rooted in the soil) and subsist from nutrients that they get from the roots of other plants. Most of the most popular culivated orchids are epiphytes; they are rooted on the branches of trees, but they do not take nutrients from them.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #383
Jsquared
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I am in love with you Alternanthera 'Varigated'. I want some but cant find out anything about it. ><
Jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #384
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thank you, Jsquared. It has done well for me in my set up. It never gets very tall; seems to max out at around 8 inches in height, if that. Need bright light, pressurized CO2 and lots of iron in the water column (EI dosing) and a nice nutrient-rich substrate as well. Spreads on it's own, and only requires an occasional removal of an old leaf or two. Pretty hands-off, as far as I can tell. Not a fast grower.

I got mine from manini.....you could try PM'ing him to see if he has any.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #385
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

New pics.....I have a cryptocorne throwing a spathe for the first time. It feels delightful. Anyone know which species, by chance? I can't tell.....I have C. nurii, C affinis Brown Green, and C. Kota tinggi all in the same area, and I didn't feel like digging to find the exact plant it was coming from.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Some Alternanthera taken with a macro lens......The lighting is pretty intense!

Finally, a bucephalandra leaf coming in, turning pink due to the new lighting:

Just a random shot....have a nice new neo off to the right side there.

Last edited by crazydaz; 02-22-2013 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: Pic Links weren't working. Or something.
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #386
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I think you need a patch of Crypt 'Flamingo'
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #387
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

wow, i take some time off and come back to find your update pics don't work
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #388
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Frank....I would love a patch of Pink Flamingo. Have any in an aquatic form ready to go?

Bill......how do you mean they don't work?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #389
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

first three and last three show "user has deleted or moved this image" i only see the pic of the spathe
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #390
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I can't see most of the new pics either.. there's a photobucket message saying you deleted the image.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote