PFR vs Supreme Red breeding - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Hetch Hetchy goes to SF and a few other places, but not where I live. Oakland's was all still snow melt sources though last time I checked the map.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
KTern
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

oakland get its water from the Mokelumne River

http://www.ebmud.com/sites/default/f...system2003.pdf
KTern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Okay, let's get back on topic. How many else have kept Supreme reds, and in what condition(s)?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Default Re: PFR vs Supreme Red breeding

I have them breeding in a variable pH, 8 dGH, 7dKH high tech tank, despite cardinal tetras, a dwarf gourami, and pygmy corys.

I'm impressed.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

I can test this weekend for all params but I can tell you mine are in pH 8.2, GH and KH is probably through the roof cause it's mostly tap (which generally runs about GH 10, KH 16) and temp is low because it's cold in that room so probably running around 70-72 degrees in the tank and they are breeding. Got PFRs in with 'em. TDS is right at 200 which is generally where I keep my neos (180-200). Lots of folks go WAY higher than that, that's just what I like to keep mine at. I'll try to test this weekend, just did a water change 20 minutes ago so I'll let things settle. They are in a tank with river gravel and pool filter sand...and CPOs. Lots of moss and java ferns and plastic plants (plastic plants grow biolfilm too)

Now, back when I had them in the other tank, they were breeding well there too. Params TOTALLY different. pH was 6.8, kh was 2, GH 7. Temp was 70-72 degrees. THAT info I have all written down. The tank they are in now I sort of ignore for the most part as far as testing.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
ivan.f
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
+1 I have both. Used to have them in separate tanks and different params and they bred fine. Now have them all in one tank with different params from their original tanks and they still breed fine. No difference noted. I had a problem with my PFRs dropping eggs when I first got them and I had been doing too many water changes and was vacuuming the gravel as well. Stressed them to the max and they would drop eggs within days of berrying. Went to changing water once every two weeks and never touching the substrate. By the time I tore down the PFR tank I had over 200 babies in a 3 gallon tank And that was even after selling 50-100 a month.
Mind telling me the exact setup you have that did this? I have had 2 females out of 6 drop their eggs... now I'm just really upset.
ivan.f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
jmhk
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Question

I have had a tank up and running for about a month now. I'd like to get some rilis. We have well water that starts out quite hard. I have been pulling my water for the tank from the tap after it goes through the iron filter and water softener. This lowers the GH to about 3 degrees but leaves KH high, around 12 degrees. TDS is ~375. pH is 7.6 at tap and 8.2 in tank.

Would this be ok for neo shrimp, or would it be better for me to just use the unfiltered iron rich hard water? TDS would remain the same, I believe, and given the KH, the pH should also be about the same. But GH would probably shoot up to around 9.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #23
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

TDS is total dissolved solids so it would be higher if you used your iron unfiltered water. Personally I'd say that your KH is a bit on the high end. You can use some distilled or RO water to mix it in I lower it.

Personally here I have a TDS of 10-20 in my tap so it's really easy with neos to change the parameters to their well being.
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
jmhk
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Wow, a TDS of 10-20ppm is dang close to DI/RO - unusual tap water where you are (at least compared to what I am used to)
Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhk View Post
Wow, a TDS of 10-20ppm is dang close to DI/RO - unusual tap water where you are (at least compared to what I am used to)
My tap fluctuates between 20-40 TDS and has 0 GH and KH. Guess I'm lucky since our city is the first to get water coming straight from the Mountains.