Panacur, help on dosing - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc View Post
are you sure about safeguard/panacur not working? I have been reading the old posts and the referred links. it appears to have worked for many. it's all my local petsmart has and I don't want to order something online I would like to start now before the infestation gets out of control.

anyone try safeguard/panacur with 5.5 gal? I'm going to move forward and give it a try if no one responds but just wondering how other people measured out/divided up a 1g bag for a 5.5.gal?
I've done it before. I just divided the contents of a packet a few times to get a rough estimate of 0.05g since I don't have a digital scale. It's not water soluble so you'll have to grind any large granules down before adding it to the tank. I dosed a total of 3 times with 48 hours between doses. The hydra weren't affected by the first dosage. After the second dosage they started to contract into little balls on the plants and glass. After the third dose, I couldn't find any more hydra. It didn't kill any snails (pond and MTS) but it did eradicate all the hydra. Though there was no shrimp in the tank when I was dosing. YMMV.

http://www.planetinverts.com/killing...and_hydra.html
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc View Post
are you sure about safeguard/panacur not working? I have been reading the old posts and the referred links. it appears to have worked for many. it's all my local petsmart has and I don't want to order something online I would like to start now before the infestation gets out of control.

anyone try safeguard/panacur with 5.5 gal? I'm going to move forward and give it a try if no one responds but just wondering how other people measured out/divided up a 1g bag for a 5.5.gal?
Yep, many people have used in 5.5 gallons. I've personally sold over 1000 1 gram packets at cost. Once in a while I hear about a snail dying or someone saying it killed their tetra or something, but 99.9% of people using it have been fine.

Planaria need 2-3 doses over a week to kill, because they hide deep in the substrate.

Just dose 1/20th of a packet, or eyeball it.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

whew! I was getting worried for a second. OK, thanks for the two affirmations, and I'll give it a go
abc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
abc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxkitten View Post
By Triet Do, USC School of Pharmacy
Having hydra and planaria in your shrim tank is both insightful and potentially harmful to shrimplets. I have seen a huge hydra literally attack and kill one of my baby Crystal Red Shrimps. After searching for a cure I have found and tried Fenbendazole (Safe-Guard) successfully. It’s safe for shrimps, snails, fish and plants.

Instruction

1) Purchase the cheapest Fenbendazole product (available at Petsmart)

2) Mix 1 bag (1g) with 100 mL of drinking water. Shake VIGORIOUSLY! There will always be undissolved Fenbendazole settling on the bottom. The point of shaking is to make a saturated solution of Fenbendazole.
3) You will need to save the solution in a bottle for future treatment.

Dosing

1) DOSE is 0.1 g/10 gallons every 12 hours (prefer at night).
2) Use a SYRINGE to draw 10 mL of the solution (contain 0.1 g) and inject to your 10-gallon tank. If you have a 20-gallon tank, draw 20 mL of solution and so on.

3) Dose every 12 hours until all hydra and planaria are gone. Usually after 3 doses.
4) Do a 25% water change if you feel necessary. I don’t normally do that but my shrimps are still healthy and breed fast.

I followed above directions to dose my 20L, didn't kill MTS, fire red shrimps or oto. Also on the first dose I forgot to take out the carbon and purigen. So I don't know if that helped killed them. I used it on hydras
so it looks like I can use half a bag (.5g) with 100ml and apply the same 10ml dosage for a 5.5gal (roughly). this might be better than eyeballing or trying to divide up a whole bag into 20 parts. thanks!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Yes and turn off lights while doing, so Planaria will come out of the gravel
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
abc
Planted Member

ah! will do. Thanks for that last bit of advice. I definitely want to get the planaria out in the open and zap them with the safeguard
Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #22
trueblu8
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Excellent thread.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChestBurster.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	137458
trueblu8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #23
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Great thread, may need to reference it in the near future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.