Need idea help!!! temple/mayan/indiana jones tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 752
Default

Need idea help!!! temple/mayan/indiana jones tank


Right now, this is what the tank looks like. I have moss planted near the skulls, so hopefully it will take to it. They will also darken some, just like the croc. Just noticed that the pic really makes them stand out more than they do.

My idea is to rescape the tank and go with a temple/mayan/indiana jones type tank. That way the skulls would be more incorporated into the tank and not a distraction. I am issues coming up with some ideas. So people, please send some my way!!!!! FYI - 210 gallon tank, have lots of room to play.

__________________
~30 Rummy-nose Tetras, ~30 Balloon Lamp-eye Tetras, 2 Bristlenose Plecos, 4 German Blue Rams, 1 Rainbow Shark ~15 Amano Shrimp, 8 Roseline Sharks, 3 Clown Loaches, 2 SAEs
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 472
Default

If you could find some poison darts and stick it on the skulls, it would be sweet!

Also some kind of mayan idol laying somewhere in the tank
__________________
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
dhgyello04's Avatar
 
PTrader: (34/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lathrop, CA USA
Posts: 823
Default

Looks good.. are those jungle Val's?. Just wanted to say hello from lathrop, CA.
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru
 
lochaber's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
My idea is to rescape the tank and go with a temple/mayan/indiana jones type tank. That way the skulls would be more incorporated into the tank and not a distraction. I am issues coming up with some ideas. So people, please send some my way!!!!! FYI - 210 gallon tank, have lots of room to play.

I can't remember if it was on here or not, but someone had done a tank background with some meso-american styled decorations (I think it may have been Maya-inspired, but not certain) thought it looked pretty well.

I'd say get some styrofoam (wouldn't even have to be thick, and inch or 2 would probably be sufficient) - home insulation would be cheaper, but the floral stuff in craft stores would be easier to work with. look up some pics of mayan carvings and wall decorations and stuff, maybe pull a book out of the library.

If you have some artistic ability, you may be able to just mimic the style and do your own art, otherwise you could find a design you like, and copy it onto the styrofoam, carve it up, and coat it with something to make it look like rock (dendroboard folk seem to have good luck with drylock, I'm personally fond of an epoxy-sand mix, but that might not work if your carving is detailed)

Maybe something like some knapped arrowheads/knives might look neat, and since they are typically flint, obsidian, or glass, should be tank safe (aside from the sharp edges, but you could either dull them with something abrasive, or run a bit of epoxy or silicone or something on the edge)
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Christiansburg, Va
Posts: 2,756
Default

here's the link to that tank journal - I love it, it's one of my favorites!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=aztec
__________________
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
If you could find some poison darts and stick it on the skulls, it would be sweet!

Also some kind of mayan idol laying somewhere in the tank
Hmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgyello04 View Post
Looks good.. are those jungle Val's?. Just wanted to say hello from lathrop, CA.
Yes, slowly coming in finally after some BBA/Excel hits and a slow acclimation to the tank.



Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I can't remember if it was on here or not, but someone had done a tank background with some meso-american styled decorations (I think it may have been Maya-inspired, but not certain) thought it looked pretty well.

I'd say get some styrofoam (wouldn't even have to be thick, and inch or 2 would probably be sufficient) - home insulation would be cheaper, but the floral stuff in craft stores would be easier to work with. look up some pics of mayan carvings and wall decorations and stuff, maybe pull a book out of the library.

If you have some artistic ability, you may be able to just mimic the style and do your own art, otherwise you could find a design you like, and copy it onto the styrofoam, carve it up, and coat it with something to make it look like rock (dendroboard folk seem to have good luck with drylock, I'm personally fond of an epoxy-sand mix, but that might not work if your carving is detailed)

Maybe something like some knapped arrowheads/knives might look neat, and since they are typically flint, obsidian, or glass, should be tank safe (aside from the sharp edges, but you could either dull them with something abrasive, or run a bit of epoxy or silicone or something on the edge)
All good ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
here's the link to that tank journal - I love it, it's one of my favorites!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=aztec
That is amazing. I want to say that I had seen that before a while ago.




I guess I need to start some googling looking for different background ideas. Even to minimize the background work, what about some type of sacrificial alter/stones?
__________________
~30 Rummy-nose Tetras, ~30 Balloon Lamp-eye Tetras, 2 Bristlenose Plecos, 4 German Blue Rams, 1 Rainbow Shark ~15 Amano Shrimp, 8 Roseline Sharks, 3 Clown Loaches, 2 SAEs
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,456
Default

how about some red plants growing out of eye sockets
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012