Need idea help!!! temple/mayan/indiana jones tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need idea help!!! temple/mayan/indiana jones tank

Right now, this is what the tank looks like. I have moss planted near the skulls, so hopefully it will take to it. They will also darken some, just like the croc. Just noticed that the pic really makes them stand out more than they do.

My idea is to rescape the tank and go with a temple/mayan/indiana jones type tank. That way the skulls would be more incorporated into the tank and not a distraction. I am issues coming up with some ideas. So people, please send some my way!!!!! FYI - 210 gallon tank, have lots of room to play.

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

If you could find some poison darts and stick it on the skulls, it would be sweet!

Also some kind of mayan idol laying somewhere in the tank
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Looks good.. are those jungle Val's?. Just wanted to say hello from lathrop, CA.
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
My idea is to rescape the tank and go with a temple/mayan/indiana jones type tank. That way the skulls would be more incorporated into the tank and not a distraction. I am issues coming up with some ideas. So people, please send some my way!!!!! FYI - 210 gallon tank, have lots of room to play.

I can't remember if it was on here or not, but someone had done a tank background with some meso-american styled decorations (I think it may have been Maya-inspired, but not certain) thought it looked pretty well.

I'd say get some styrofoam (wouldn't even have to be thick, and inch or 2 would probably be sufficient) - home insulation would be cheaper, but the floral stuff in craft stores would be easier to work with. look up some pics of mayan carvings and wall decorations and stuff, maybe pull a book out of the library.

If you have some artistic ability, you may be able to just mimic the style and do your own art, otherwise you could find a design you like, and copy it onto the styrofoam, carve it up, and coat it with something to make it look like rock (dendroboard folk seem to have good luck with drylock, I'm personally fond of an epoxy-sand mix, but that might not work if your carving is detailed)

Maybe something like some knapped arrowheads/knives might look neat, and since they are typically flint, obsidian, or glass, should be tank safe (aside from the sharp edges, but you could either dull them with something abrasive, or run a bit of epoxy or silicone or something on the edge)
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

here's the link to that tank journal - I love it, it's one of my favorites!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=aztec
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
If you could find some poison darts and stick it on the skulls, it would be sweet!

Also some kind of mayan idol laying somewhere in the tank
Hmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgyello04 View Post
Looks good.. are those jungle Val's?. Just wanted to say hello from lathrop, CA.
Yes, slowly coming in finally after some BBA/Excel hits and a slow acclimation to the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I can't remember if it was on here or not, but someone had done a tank background with some meso-american styled decorations (I think it may have been Maya-inspired, but not certain) thought it looked pretty well.

I'd say get some styrofoam (wouldn't even have to be thick, and inch or 2 would probably be sufficient) - home insulation would be cheaper, but the floral stuff in craft stores would be easier to work with. look up some pics of mayan carvings and wall decorations and stuff, maybe pull a book out of the library.

If you have some artistic ability, you may be able to just mimic the style and do your own art, otherwise you could find a design you like, and copy it onto the styrofoam, carve it up, and coat it with something to make it look like rock (dendroboard folk seem to have good luck with drylock, I'm personally fond of an epoxy-sand mix, but that might not work if your carving is detailed)

Maybe something like some knapped arrowheads/knives might look neat, and since they are typically flint, obsidian, or glass, should be tank safe (aside from the sharp edges, but you could either dull them with something abrasive, or run a bit of epoxy or silicone or something on the edge)
All good ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
here's the link to that tank journal - I love it, it's one of my favorites!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=aztec
That is amazing. I want to say that I had seen that before a while ago.

I guess I need to start some googling looking for different background ideas. Even to minimize the background work, what about some type of sacrificial alter/stones?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

how about some red plants growing out of eye sockets
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote