Shrimpers - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
My nearest places are something fishy in Clio, and OOPS in Saginaw. neither one of which stocks good looking shrimp, on any kind of regular basis. Sadly.

Thanks for the heads up though.
Your welcome. I figured you were far but I still wanted to throw it out there. I haven't bought any shrimp from LFS before. I understand that LFS have costs its just I can't see paying that much for a shrimp that I could get cheaper somewhere else.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
CharleeFoxtrot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Your welcome. I figured you were far but I still wanted to throw it out there. I haven't bought any shrimp from LFS before. I understand that LFS have costs its just I can't see paying that much for a shrimp that I could get cheaper somewhere else.
The biggest issue I have with the LFS is that they sell older shrimp, ones that are full sized because people can see them. IME shrimp acclimate much better if they are juvies or sub adults which is why all the sellers here and other place online sell them so small-which is also cheaper for them to produce

Got to say I've had excellent results buying from speedie408 and alphaprobreeders here on the board.
CharleeFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
CharleeFoxtrot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog64 View Post
Well the tap water around me comes out and a pretty high PH so if you wanted to do any of the more delicate bee species you would really need to buffer it down quite a bit with soil and/or a RO/DI system, which for me being in an apartment really does not work well.
My tap water is liquid rock LOL so I mix it 4 parts RO/DI to one part tap water which gives me much better quality. If you are really thinking about the higher grade soft water shrimp, there are fairly cheap RO/DI units that are portable that you could use in an apartment. They run $100 or so, but if you think about how expensive some of these shrimp are and the time you'll invest in keeping them the initial cost of the unit is peanuts. I had one that had a faucet adapter on it, I'd hook it up in the bathtub to run into 5 gallon buckets or jugs-I'd do enough water for a week then store the unit until the next time. Yeah...I was obsessed LOL and still am
CharleeFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default facts

I'm glad to get any and all information, even if I can't use it immediately.

I'm glad to hear from more people here, it's nice to get responses, and new perspective.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #20
"Got light?"
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

My S and S+ grade CRS grow & breed like rabbits in my Fluval Spec V (with an added LED light to encorage algae growth.... my CRS's graze it as fast as I can grow it !!)

The adults thrived just fine in my 26 gallon 10 year running over-stocked with 50 Tetras tank before moving them all into the Fluval for breeding

- I mix 1/2 tap water with 1/2 RO/DI water for 25% water changes twice a week.
- I feed mostly Tetrafin Plus Goldfish flakes every other day (the Plus flakes have extra algae & color enhancers), a few small pieces of IAL laying around, and a tiny piece of Mosura CRS & Excel once a week for s@&ts & giggles' (Mosura pieces always feed in a small glass food-dish' which is buried even with substrate, NEVER just placed on the substrate itself)
- I add 15 drops of Kent Pro-Plant twice a week for the Moss & Crypts'

That's about it.... easy-cheesy-japaneasy
And the fact they are NOT shy/skittish is just an extra bonus

MY BEST ADVICE IMHO.... CRS ARE ONLY TRUELY HARDY' & HAPPY IN A LONG-RUNNING ESTABLISHED TANK !! (with lots of invisable micro fauna in the substrate & algae covered back wall of tank/other places to graze on)

Last edited by "Got light?"; 02-25-2013 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: add video
"Got light?" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Environment

Hmm, established aquarium with tons of microfauna.

What I got from that is, start a tank, cycle it once you're happy with the scaping, then turn the lights on bright and cover the back wall with algae, and put in some guppies to run the tank on full blast till I get my shrimp.

This is exactly what my ghostshrimp/guppy tank has now, I think I can replicate it for another tank.

Thanks for the info.
I've gotta try and track down an RO/DI unit on the cheap at some point.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
JebJebBird
Algae Grower

Default Re: Shrimpers

I'm trying to breed ghost shrimp. I recently made a few changes and plan on attempting an infusoria culture soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
JebJebBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #23
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

With the breeding of ghost shrimp, I believe it to be almost impossible to do so unless they're in a species only tank. I've had various numbers in my guppy/ghost tank.

I've seen dozens of different berried females come and go, without ever getting any new Shrimp. Currently have 11 shrimp, 4 berried, and I think the guppies will eat any that make it to the free floating stage.

Once I get my Walstad Jar going, I'll see what happens in a species only setup.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
JebJebBird
Algae Grower

I bred a generation with betta fish in there. The bettas died, so it's just them and the snails now.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #25
"Got light?"
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Don't bother... can't be done **
And even if you could... you could just buy them for a fraction of the cost to breed them yourself

** MAJOR issues with feeding the newborns'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebJebBird View Post
I'm trying to breed ghost shrimp. I recently made a few changes and plan on attempting an infusoria culture soon.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
JebJebBird
Algae Grower

I did it once already. I don't see why I coulsn't repeat it, especially now that I'm taking better care of them.

If I fail, I'll just get some cherries. No problem.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #27
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not saying not to try, I'm just stating my experience.

If you've got better luck than me, Good on ya.

I'd love to try and keep them separately, and see if they breed.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok Everyone who's been around here, I'm seriously considering buying some CRS/CBS because honestly I'd just love to have them, and I might have an extra 20 or so next payday.

Anyone in the Greater Saginaw/Genesee county area let me know.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 03-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
Scifisarah
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Ok Everyone who's been around here, I'm seriously considering buying some CRS/CBS because honestly I'd just love to have them, and I might have an extra 20 or so next payday.

Anyone in the Greater Saginaw/Genesee county area let me know.
If you don't get a response on here, you might want to try the pets section of your local craigslist. I put a "shrimp wanted" ad on there and ended up getting quite a few responses.
Scifisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #30
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

I found one guy, but he's halfway across the state.
Plus I wouldn't mind supporting another TPT member if I can afford it.
might end up getting Cherries from him though.

Thanks for the heads up though.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~