CO2 Refills JBL
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
gramas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 Refills JBL

Hi,
I am just starting out in the planted aquarium world after years of tropical and Malawi tanks. I have a 330L tank which I have setup with a few plants and some small tetra/Danio/shrimps.
The plants haven't really taken off (My moss is turning brown) and some plants have just disintegrated so after reading up I purchased a couple of Sera CO2 units (the ones where you put the tabs in every other day they say they are ok for tanks up to 120L so I bought 2 as I have about 280L of actual water in the tak) but after a few weeks nothing has really changed, my co2 drop checker stays blue, PH hovers between 6.8-7.1 i don't think im getting enough CO2 for the plants.
I am also dosing with Easy Carbo and Profito to try and give them a kick.
Anyway I think that the sera things aren't good enough for my tank size and was looking at a 2nd hand JBL proflora m602, does anyone have any ideas?
Also the m602 says it is a refillable co2 unit, do you know how/where I can get these refilled?
Thanks
gramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

In terms of pressurized CO2, a larger cylinder may be more suitable for your aquarium.

I believe the JBL CO2 kit that you are referring to only comes with a 500 gram CO2 cylinder, which will last 2-3 weeks at most on your aquarium. Refills for a larger cylinder are usually not that much more expensive (prices rarely increase linearly with weight).

If you are going pressurized CO2, there are a multitude of commercial solutions. In addition, if you are feeling handy, you could also source the parts yourself and assemble a CO2 kit (for this route, or just for more information regarding pressurized CO2, please take a look at my Pressurized CO2 Primer, linked in my signature below).

Finally, regarding refills for pressurized CO2: you can usually refill them at paintball shops, welding shops, stores that cater to home-made beer, etc

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
gramas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

thanks for the reply, i will have a look a your link, the m602 says for tanks 100-600L in size obviously they missed off the part about it running out very quickly on larger tanks.

I will have to have a look around for refill places if i go this route, paintball/home beer making isnt that big round here...(drinking beer is but that doesnt help me too much )
gramas is offline   Reply With Quote