I need basic set-up help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
fred1163
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I need basic set-up help!

I'm re-entering the hobby after a 14 year absence, older and wiser (I hope).

This regards a 90 gal all-glass (plastic framed) tank purchased new in 1996, with a manufactured for aquarium use wood (pine) stand, also circa '96.

Set in it's place on my carpeted (thin commercial grade with no pad) basement floor, checked for level and was a little off (1/4 in per 4 ft). No surprise - no biggie, level it later.

So, I started filling it with water as a leak teast. Filled it up about 25% and let it rest for a day-no leaks. Up to 50% next day, and again waited 24 hrs and no leaks. 3rd day filled it to the top and waited again 24 hrs -no leaks!

Thanks for reading through my leak test procedure, but bear with me please!

So, now that I'm confident the old girl won't leak, I started to drain the water. While it was doing it's thing, I did a "walkaround"; kinda like a fighter pilot does with his aircraft before flying a sordie, and noticed a sliver of light coming from between the tank and stand.

When it finished draining, I accessed that the tank does not firmly rest on it's stand in two (diagonal) corners, and along the front at a span of 3-7 inches from a corner. The gaps are at most the thickness of two sheets of standard printer paper, though.

I've googled far and wide, and there's all kinds of conflicting info on this. Very confused.... I want to get my aquarium up and running. What do I need to do???
fred1163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If the gap is that small, I think the standard practice of putting a piece of foam under the tank should work well enough.

-I also do this as a precautionary measure, even with stands that appear to be perfectly smooth and level. If it's a stand I'm building, I usually build in a lip/edge to cover the foam and the bottom trim of the tank. Otherwise, I try and find some black foam or something similar.

I've heard of people using cork (bulletin board type), laminate floor underlayment, yoga mats, and the old ugly standby of expanded polystyrene insulation sheets.

right now I'm using some sheets of craft foam ('Foamies' - I picked them up at a Michael's/Jo-anne's) for a 20XT, but they are too small to use with a bigger tank.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

when empty some of my 40B tanks kind of wobbled like they were resting moreso on two opposing corners. probably off by the thickness of a sheet or two of paper as well. But with water in they straighted out and sit flat. Youd be suprised how much glass flexes.

So if it sits flat when completely full then It will be fine. if not then I would shim it. foam is good like the person above said because it will fit the space easier.

Just for fun, try putting a square or a 4' level against the front piece of glass when it full!
metallicanick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use Styrofoam because it is cheap, easy to cut and easy to find (Home Depot).
But that white edge showing between tank and stand is not pretty.

Another material that caught my eye was some sort of soft mat sold at a truckbox store. They sell all sorts of accessories for trucks. I have no idea what this mat was really for, but maybe it would work for this use.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
fred1163
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks for the responces.

My stand in an open top, designed to support the tank only on the outer rim on all sides. The tanks bottom is approx 3/4" above the outer supporting rim of the stand, so I don't know how useful a "sheet of anything would be.

I was thinking of trying the stuff below. It's a dense, 3/8" thick closed cell foam rubber self adhesive strip. It's the same width as the supporting frame of the tank, so I thought I would stick it to the bottom rim of the tank, then set the tank on the stand and level the stand. Should work?

fred1163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1163 View Post
Thanks for the responces.

My stand in an open top, designed to support the tank only on the outer rim on all sides. The tanks bottom is approx 3/4" above the outer supporting rim of the stand, so I don't know how useful a "sheet of anything would be.

I was thinking of trying the stuff below. It's a dense, 3/8" thick closed cell foam rubber self adhesive strip. It's the same width as the supporting frame of the tank, so I thought I would stick it to the bottom rim of the tank, then set the tank on the stand and level the stand. Should work?

I think so, as long as you are careful that there isn't any overlap or large gaps, though I think I would want to use something a bit wider then the frame edges, just to prevent it turning/buckling or something (may not be an issue, I don't know).

As to the sheet of styrofoam bit, yeah, in a typical glass tank, most of the sheet isn't used at all, I just don't like dealing with trying to piece together an outline, even though that is all that's really supporting the tank.

I've also heard of people recommending various foams for their insulating properties, but I think it's rather negligible unless you have the rest of the tank covered in foam as well.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote