Cray babes, just a pic
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Cray babes, just a pic

I have had zero luck in getting babies to survive (she's had two batches) but this is her best hatching yet and there are tons more plants and hidey holes in the tank now so I'm hopeful. She was showing off tonight so got a quick pic with my Iphone/Olloclip lens. Thanks for letting me share

ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
giantdny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Cray babes, just a pic

Awesome! Hope the babies stick around!
giantdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

Awesome picture. Only crays I've ever had were marmorkrebs which bred pretty true. That's a CPO?
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

That's weird, those cray babies are super durable. I would remove the male and female cause they will sometimes eat the babies.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #5
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
That's weird, those cray babies are super durable. I would remove the male and female cause they will sometimes eat the babies.

Nope, not gunna Last batch I moved the female to her own tank, took her out the minute I saw the babies had climbed off, could only find one at the time and I had only been gone for 3 hours. She had them all when I left, when I came back she had one still attached and one in the tank. The one in the tank molted about an hour after I found him and he got stuck in his molt. I helped him out of it. He lived for probably another 5 days then just disappeared. Nothing in the tank but snails and him. The baby she had stuck to her was moving fine on her belly, I went to intentionally spook her to see if he'd shake loose and he fell off dead. So my 'efforts' aren't going into them anymore after all that. They can either live on their own or not. But that baby that lived for 5 days couldn't walk hardly at all the first two days. Laid on his back most of the time threatening to die. Then he perked up and started actually being mobile. Then he was gone.

The first batch she had I never saw them. Saw them clinging to her belly one day, then they had walked off and I never saw any survivors. I shall assume she ate them all in the few hours I was away.

And yes, Puddles, those are CPOs.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I count 15 babies! That's a really nice pic.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Those eyes remaining me for:
Attached Images

plamski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Nope, not gunna Last batch I moved the female to her own tank, took her out the minute I saw the babies had climbed off, could only find one at the time and I had only been gone for 3 hours. She had them all when I left, when I came back she had one still attached and one in the tank. The one in the tank molted about an hour after I found him and he got stuck in his molt. I helped him out of it. He lived for probably another 5 days then just disappeared. Nothing in the tank but snails and him. The baby she had stuck to her was moving fine on her belly, I went to intentionally spook her to see if he'd shake loose and he fell off dead. So my 'efforts' aren't going into them anymore after all that. They can either live on their own or not. But that baby that lived for 5 days couldn't walk hardly at all the first two days. Laid on his back most of the time threatening to die. Then he perked up and started actually being mobile. Then he was gone.

The first batch she had I never saw them. Saw them clinging to her belly one day, then they had walked off and I never saw any survivors. I shall assume she ate them all in the few hours I was away.

And yes, Puddles, those are CPOs.
Idk then, maybe check water quality but I've had them live anywhere from ph 6.5-8 and gH 4-14.

Babies are usually hardy as nuts too. Should be much easier than shrimp.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Dont worry ravensgate, they'll get used to it eventually... I have probably over 100 in a 20 gallon tank and they all seem to still breed and survive. Hiding places helps! The babies look like juvie RCS, which is confusing in the aquarium I have them in because it also has RCS.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

breaking the line of sight has been the secret to my success. i have a ton of obstacles in my 10g which has my stock of 7 turn in to 40+ over several months. Yes im hoarding

Liam- you keep rcs in the same tank safely? hmm havent considered that
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

The whole tank is hideous looking from all the hides holes in there and moss. I'll eventually tidy it up. Heehee! Mine are in with about 50 shrimp right now. Fortunately that one that lived for about a week was by himself so I could get a good look at him. So I hope I cAn tell the difference if these manage to make it. My other female is sterile as far as I can tell. She berries but all eggs turn orange and fall off.

Acity I have only witnessed a cray eating a shrimp one time. No idea if the cray killed it though. The shrimp are too fast for them. I wouldn't keep expensive shrimp with them but I've just got PfRs and Supremes in there.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

i dont' find them too difficult to tell from shrimp babies, they have a very "rigid and upright" carriage that is quintessentially crayfish, lol.
congrats!
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

Great pic. Hope everything works out.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Well most have walked off today....have seen about 5 and they are walking and moving good which is better than the last little dude from her last batch. Kinda shocked to see them. And had a batch of baby shrimps born today too so I'm hoping that gives the crays something else to focus on. I'll start pulling whatever babies are left in about a week I guess.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

nice pic of the baby cray!~looks good!
abc is offline   Reply With Quote