75 gallon tank, should I use 1 or 2 heaters?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

75 gallon tank, should I use 1 or 2 heaters?

Should I use just one 300w heater or two smaller wattage heaters? Since my tank is in my basement temps can get into the 40's at night and maybe mid 50's during the day so pretty cold. I'm not entirely sure what I want to put in my tank yet. I would like to keep the heat at around 75-77 deg. I currently have 2 heaters that I've acquired over time, An Azoo titanium heater which is about 5 degrees off and one of those Fluvals with the digital display. Both of which are 300w. I was thinking of getting an Ebo-jager or an Aqueon pro. ect, I don't know to much about heaters.
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

you could go with an inline (if you have a canister) or use 2x 200W plus heaters if you have a sump or just place them into the tank... 40s is cold and its all dependent on what you what to house in said aquarium and what temp range you are shooting for. In my experience, inline heaters seem to be more effective at holding temps. Remember, you often pay for what you get.

Another idea would be to use a glass lid to help hold on the heat
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

For 75s you might wanna go with a couple 200W heaters - one on each side. If you have a canister you can get 1 300W inline heater or get 2 canister filters and run a 200W heater on both (for Discus and other very warm water species).
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Dual Canister, and Dual inline heaters would be the best solution.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
JeffHerr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default 75 gallon tank, should I use 1 or 2 heaters?

I go with two even with a 55gal. If one dies, I have the second. And it works great on water change day to quickly stabilize the temp.
JeffHerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
ggsteve
Algae Grower

What ever you do, that's going to cost real money to run in a 45* basement. The heaters will be on a lot.
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
For 75s you might wanna go with a couple 200W heaters - one on each side. If you have a canister you can get 1 300W inline heater or get 2 canister filters and run a 200W heater on both (for Discus and other very warm water species).
Right - and make those 2 heaters calibrated Eheim Jaegers.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsteve View Post
What ever you do, that's going to cost real money to run in a 45* basement. The heaters will be on a lot.
This.

You are looking to heat the tank 30ish degrees and keep it heated. If you are bound and determined to put the tank in such a cold area I would seriously look at glass tops and wrapping the back, bottom and possibly sides with some insulation (styrofoam sheets perhaps) to conserve as much heat as you can.

Myself, I'd just put the tank somewhere else but I don't know your situation.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #9
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
This.

You are looking to heat the tank 30ish degrees and keep it heated. If you are bound and determined to put the tank in such a cold area I would seriously look at glass tops and wrapping the back, bottom and possibly sides with some insulation (styrofoam sheets perhaps) to conserve as much heat as you can.

Myself, I'd just put the tank somewhere else but I don't know your situation.
I agree. I didn't see this part of the post somehow. That's going to stress the heater(s) pretty bad - you're going to want to consider this and try avoiding it if at all possible. I'm a big fan of glass tops in the colder months.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

With those temps you're going to have condensation problems I fear. But 2 smaller heaters are always better than one large if you can afford it.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

I haven't actually started filling the tank yet, I'm still in the beginning stage where I'm getting all my equipment and such. I just got an Aquatop CF500 which I think will suffice a 75 just fine and I'm not really interested in getting an inline since it could reduce the flow. But I'm defiantly looking at the Jager's they have the best reviews so far.

Btw I do have glass tops but they're pretty much coated in mineral deposits I've tried vinegar, CLR and both of them didn't really do much. I don't really want to buy some new glass tops since they'd be another $40, I'm on a tight budget. Any other ideas...

Also, the reason why my tank is in my basement is that I'm skeptical our floors can support the weight. I know some members have even larger tanks than mine on their floors, so is this a problem or am I just paranoid.
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
alipper
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist14 View Post
I haven't actually started filling the tank yet, I'm still in the beginning stage where I'm getting all my equipment and such. I just got an Aquatop CF500 which I think will suffice a 75 just fine and I'm not really interested in getting an inline since it could reduce the flow. But I'm defiantly looking at the Jager's they have the best reviews so far.

Btw I do have glass tops but they're pretty much coated in mineral deposits I've tried vinegar, CLR and both of them didn't really do much. I don't really want to buy some new glass tops since they'd be another $40, I'm on a tight budget. Any other ideas...

Also, the reason why my tank is in my basement is that I'm skeptical our floors can support the weight. I know some members have even larger tanks than mine on their floors, so is this a problem or am I just paranoid.
That's kind of the way I was thinking when I setup my 75G in my basement, but think of furniture some people have in their houses, gotta weight 500, 600 pounds, etc. I was more concerned about leaving marks in my hardwoods.

Also, I have 1 250W in my 75G, BUT I have heat in the basement.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have two 300w heaters in my 84g. They are very efficient and don't run as often as the smaller heaters used to.

Also with that temp spread and only obe heater you'll lose heat fast and regain it slowly. Two would be much better.

I use the digital Fluval heaters. Have been rock solid for years, include a temp display and color-coding so you can see what's going on at a glance.
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
JeffHerr
Algae Grower

I'm no engineer, but is 800 lbs all that much? It's like 4 average men standing close together, right?
I know there's the concern about constant pressure over time, but it won't fall through the floor, right?
JeffHerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

def get glass tops and seal the top good. or your electricity bill will go up. when i ran my 40g quarintine tank for my altums a few months ago with no glass tops. and keeping the tank at 86 in that cold month. my electricity bill went up $35 cuz of the damn heater always on fighting the cold.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote