Tips On Cutting/Trimming Please
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Al Czervik
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tips On Cutting/Trimming Please

About a month ago I converted my 65 in to a high tec planted tank. 182w out of 10000k compact fluorescents and pressurised CO2. Its time to do some serious pruning. Ive done a bit here and there but I have some red ludwegia and cabomba that are out of control. The problem is the healthier fuller leaves are obviously on the newer growth. I dont want to cut off all the new growth and leave basically what I planted from the LFS. I would appreciate all tips on pruning etc.

On a side note one of my anubias sent up a flower which is pretty cool.

Thanks
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

you can either cut stems way down, just a few nodes above substrate. That way the new growth it sends out will cover the original stuff quickly. But the best option to make it look the best is to cut all the nice tops, set them aside and pull up all the originals. Then replant the nice new growth. I do a combination of those methods. nice new stuff in front and super trimmed originals in the back, so they are hidden by the nice stuff!

And speaking of trimming, I need to cut about %75 of my stems out too! Super overgrown...
metallicanick78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

first trim. cut them down, pretty low, hard trim.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.